help my cider is salty!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't add salt next time ;) I actually have no clue. I've never made cider, my only thought is the water used...

I'm completely new so I can't tell you why, but on several other threads where people have asked for help the "experts" always ask for more details about the batch. Maybe it'd be a good idea to go ahead and add all the details now, that way when someone who can help sees this s/he will have all the info. I'm curious about this too.....

What did you use to clean and sanitize your carboy/bucket?
Maybe it could have something to do with that if it wasn't rinsed well enough.

what temp did you ferment at? Specifically the first 3 days of active fermentation.
Also, what did you use as fermentor? If plastic, are you sure it's food grade?

I think I have figured out what my problems are. First them temp was ranging from 70-75, I used plastic fermenter rather than glass, and I dropped in a few cinnamon sticks.

Cinnamon at the first ferment is a bad idea. It causes off flavors. Next time, ferment, kill yeast, then flavor.

As the yeast ferment, they create heat from the metabolic cycle that can add up to like 10°F to your must. So around 85 degrees? That isn't terrible but it could create off flavors for sure.
did you get your plastic vessel from a brewer's supply website? If not, you need to be aware that there are different types of buckets which should not be used for consumables as they leach from what's stores in them. Potentially dangerous, you can imagine.

Ive read Yooper talking about making making soap. I'd search out that post if I were you.

DaveO11 said:
I think I have figured out what my problems are. First them temp was ranging from 70-75, I used plastic fermenter rather than glass, and I dropped in a few cinnamon sticks.

That temperature is on the high side of the acceptable spectrum for fermenting ciders. I've fermented at over 80 degrees, and it didn't taste too great but I still drank it!. So temperature isn't the problem.
Plastic can be used as long as it is food grade plastic. I've used those big 5 gallon water bottles too with no problem. One just read not to bulk age in them because oxygen might still get to your cider. If you used food grade plastic, or something you bought from a homebrew store, you should be fine.
cinnamon sticks....haven't tried that yet, but I've read on multiple threads to add that after fermentation because it can produce bad flavors. Maybe that is contributing to the bad flavor.
What did you use to clean, and sanitize, your bucket and any other equipment used? What kind of water did you use? I have a feeling that this, combined with the cinnamon sticks in the primary, contributed to what you are tasting.

Latest posts

Back