Help My Cider has a White Film on it !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have tried making 2 ciders now they are in secondary, 1 has a white film on top, see pic.

Here's what I have done so far.

2 5 gal pails of fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, remove about 1 gal from each for the fam to drink.

Dissolve 4 campton tabs and 1 bag of golden brown sugar into each pail and wait 24+ hrs.

Mix 4 tsp of yeast nutriant and 2 tsp of yeast energizer into each pail.

Pail 1 pitch 1 packet of lalvin E1118

Pail 2 pitch 1 packet of lalvin 71B

SG 1.072

Pail 2 worked a bit slower but after 11 days both had finished and FG was .998 Nov.30

Dec 7 rack both pails to carboys for secondary

Pail 1 is just fine but pail 2 has a white film over the surface

Can I still drink it ? Or is it ruined ?

It's not fuzzy or hairy.

Would running it through my vin bueno wine filter help anything ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is my second attempt at cider, the first time it went to vinegar on me.

Attachments

• 20201229_195732.jpg
    20201229_195732.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Should I filter it first ?
Any idea why this would have happened? Everything was the same for both batches accept the yeast I used. Would that have caused it ?

Normal stuff. Called a pellicle and is usually from wild yeasts and bacteria when there's a little bit of oxygen available. It is dry and if you just rack off you won't be able to leave it behind as it breaks up and too easy to suction over with the cider. So I grab it off the top. I just bottled 5 gallons of Grahams English Cider that regrew the pellicle in three days after racking it off the first pellicle. I use a sanitized plastic soup ladle to capture it and dump off. It does not hurt the cider from what everyone says.

Normal stuff. Called a pellicle and is usually from wild yeasts and bacteria when there's a little bit of oxygen available. It is dry and if you just rack off you won't be able to leave it behind as it breaks up and too easy to suction over with the cider. So I grab it off the top. I just bottled 5 gallons of Grahams English Cider that regrew the pellicle in three days after racking it off the first pellicle. I use a sanitized plastic soup ladle to capture it and dump off. It does not hurt the cider from what everyone says.
Well that's a relief, thanks so much for clearing that up for me, I will bottle it this weekend.

Latest posts

Back