Help! My 1y/o kid just shoved a salad tongs into a carboy, backwards.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a hanger and make a hook on the end and try to get it in the hole. That will flip it and let you pull it out. If it's too big to flip I think it's a lost cause....

At least the kid chose something silicone covered that won't scratch it up!

With the silicone on the ends and the fact that it's wet, I'd probably try using a wire hanger to pull it out by hooking the hinge end. This would count on the curve of the neck of the carboy to close the tongs as you pull. Since it's wet, the silicone should slide on the plastic easily (and without scratching it).

I would try another pair of salad tongs with one side of the tong bent just a bit out to the side.

Another thought, a variation on the trick to get a cork out of a wine bottle with a cloth napkin, see if you can get something like an old t-shirt around the tongs and pull them out with the t-shirt.

Do we have way to flag posts as "best of" HBT? I would vote for this!

As to your problem... Good luck. I'd ditch the water bottle and buy a proper plastic carboy or better yet a speidel.

I'd tie a slip knot with some string. Use a coat hanger or something to guide it around the bottom and pull up. As you pull up it should tighten and compress the tongs then guide it through the hole. Or wrap it around the two silicon parts and use the wire to tighten it, but I think that would be more difficult. I think if you get it on the bottom it will tighten up easier as you pull upward. Just don't tie the slip knot too tight or simply tie a fixed circle that will close the tongs enough as you pull the string up. Then it won't need to synch.

Hell the loop at the end of a metal hanger would work probably the best since it's more rigid.

If I used carboys, I'd try this just for the challenge to get it out. I love a good puzzle.

Maybe use a piece of twine with a slipknot loop that is slightly smaller than tongs open span. And use something like the small end of a mash paddle or wooden dowel to move the tongs/twine around until it's under hinge end. Then pull up on the twine and it hopefully will close them and you can pull them out. Good luck!

Try a dog catchers loop, slip knot, through a hole at the end of a narrow stick. May take a second stick or dowel to get the loop over both sides of the tongs, to pull the loop tight, closing the tongs.

edit: shiv3 was a minute quicker.

Ideas:
A stick, while holding the carboy up side down

Send the kid in after it. His arms may fit

A dremel with a cut off wheel, suspended to chop up the tongs

A lead weight on a fishing line.
Drop it in, then roll the catboy, wrapping the line around several times, then pull up

I totally agree this is pretty funny. I have a soon to be three year old and know exactly how crafty they can be in maximizing damage in the few seconds your attention is diverted.
I'd also try constructing something like a noose to try to close the tongs. Otherwise, sanitize the crap outta it and start thinking of funny beer names that incorporate the word tong :)

But seriously, get a fishing hook and weight wrapped around it a few time...

I think the sinker and rolling it around to get them wrapped up sounds good.

Also, if you can loop each tong end individually, particularly with something a bit rigid (wire?) then you may be able to pull them in and then up out of the neck.

Figure it out yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wow, so many great ideas! Thanks for all the responses. I like Jwin's thought on rolling the string around it and pulling. Ill try all the ideas here until one works. Will keep you updated!

Is that plastic or glass? If plastic, cut off the bottom and make it into an oversized feeder for you malt mill. You always wanted to do that, right?

Chopsticks. Not real ones but two slender sticks.
Wrap rubber band on very end of each stick sever times to make a rubber bumper.
Maneuver sticks into opening, one on either side of tongs, compress and pull up.

Salad Tongs IPA

If those salad tongs are aluminum, put some pbw in there and let it corrode to nothingness and pour the junk out

That's pretty close to a goner.

BUT, make a loop with a hanger that's the same diameter as the mouth of the carboy. Lower it down, get it under the tongs, then bring it up. It might close the tongs enough to pull them back through the carboy mouth.

I think this may be a winner! Great Idea Passedpawn

I can picture my 2 year old doing this. I need to see how this plays out, and I agree with others this needs a live blog!

I can picture my 2 year old doing this. I need to see how this plays out, and I agree with others this needs a live blog!

Sorry have little ones of my own and this made my day cause I can relate. So glad they have not done this to me.

Back