Help me with this yeast repitch thing (photos)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I wanted to hear... but I wasn't sure. TY

Should I decant and feed it?

Whether you feed the yeast or not depends upon when you plan to use it. The yeast could be pitched as is if you plan to use it within a week. Used within a few weeks a vitality starter of 500 ml may be all the it takes to get it ready for pitching. A one liter starter would be best if you are storing the yeast longer.

You do need to determine how much of the yeast to use for your next brew. This is a good pitch rate/starter calculator for yeast vitality based on propagation date.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You can conservatively estimate 2 billion cells per milliliter. The yeast is very solid. Leave enough of the beer in the flask to be able to swirl up the yeast for pouring. Might work well to swirl up all the contents of the flask and then pour off into sanitized pint jars for easier handling.

Whether you feed the yeast or not depends upon when you plan to use it. The yeast could be pitched as is if you plan to use it within a week. Used within a few weeks a vitality starter of 500 ml may be all the it takes to get it ready for pitching. A one liter starter would be best if you are storing the yeast longer.

You do need to determine how much of the yeast to use for your next brew. This is a good pitch rate/starter calculator for yeast vitality based on propagation date.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

You can conservatively estimate 2 billion cells per milliliter. The yeast is very solid. Leave enough of the beer in the flask to be able to swirl up the yeast for pouring. Might work well to swirl up all the contents of the flask and then pour off into sanitized pint jars for easier handling.

What a fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to answer my question with such detail.

I can immediatly translate your idea into action as I have beer smith already telling me how many billions of cells I need. Love it! Only good can come from this!

If you plan to allow the yeast to warm up before pitching you might want to decant while still cold as some yeast go back into suspension as they warm, so you will end up with the old beer into your new one.

Normally the three layer thing is just shortly after harvesting from the fermentor, given enough time it will settle into two layers.

I use mr malty for determining the amount of slurry, it is surprising how little slurry is needed when it is still fresh.

And that is the same strain I'll be using on a honey ale soon.

wlp090, San Diego Super yeast. Love it...

The big fatty flask is actually Wlp320 American Heff. However both batches started off with 2 packages and grew into this. Good stuff.

Back