Help me with my PID controller please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to invest in an ebiab system and I was pointed to auber instruments by someone from another homebrew group. Specifically, I was told to check out this controller here:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64_65&products_id=533

I have done a fair amount of research but unfortunately, it still doesn't make any sense to me. Unlike most homebrewers, I am not the most handy. Because of this, I have no earthly idea on what to choose for many of the options and I certainly don't want to end up with a several hundred dollar doorstop. With that in mind, can someone please walk me through this?

Starting with the model number, I want to be sure that I have enough power to get my wort to a boil in a timely fashion so I am thinking of taking model 4 so I can use a 240V outlet. I'll probably need an electrician to set it up but no problem. Better than electrocuting yourself. Right? lol

As for the controller, I was thinking of doing the step mashing controller. While I don't step mash often, I like the having the option to do so.

Now the confusing stuff. Ugh. For the RTD probe, (I'm assuming that's the temperature probe. Really, I know that little about this stuff.), how do I choose which is right for my kettle? Is the only difference dimensions or is there more to it? It says that there are tri-clamp options for a few dollars more. What are these and are they worth it?

I'll skip over probe length as that seems pretty self explanatory. I'll probably just pay the extra for 12 feet so I'm sure I fit right.

Next up is the sensor socket. There are two options but I have no idea what the difference between them are as it's as if they're in a whole other language. They are a standard RTDCON socket (PT100 RTD) and XLRCON-M socket (PT100 RTD). What am I choosing between here? Is it where I stick the temperature sensor into the kettle? What is the difference between these choices and how do I pick the right one?

The last two options are the input power cord option and the output connector option. For the input power cord option, I'm assuming I would need to go with L6-20P to C19, 12AWG 8 ft (Model 4) because as mentioned above, I am looking to go with model 4 but for the output connector, is this optional or is it necessary to pay the money for this?

Now that I have sufficiently embarrassed myself and shown my lack of understanding on this let me apologize in advance if any of these questions are too ignorant. As always, thanks for the help and let me know if you need additional information

Cheers!
Casey

Tri clamps are the large sanitary connectors used in the milk and pharma as well as smaller brewery industries (most larger breweries use camlocks ironically) They are not at all needed but depending on what kettles you go with and what fittings your choose some like to be able to remove the probes each brew for some reason but this is preference and not needed.

pt100 sensors are the recommended choice and just about any of the common pids will work but I would recommend an auber ezboil unit as it does more and works better for brewing applications. As far as outlets and plugs you only need what meets the power requirements and works best with the components and wall outlets you have. a 20a 240v outlet is not as commonly found in homes as a 30a (or 50A) used for driers and oven ranges...

Back