Help me with an off-flavor: Ashy/Tobacco/Leather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
Hey All,

Took a 6mo break from brewing to renovate a new house, trying to get the pipeline stocked and started brewing some easy favorites. I am typically very picky of my beers and consider myself a good brewer, compares well to most commercial beers, high drinkability etc.

My most recent batch has an off-flavor that I have NEVER had, but I have a few variables. I brewed this on March 11th, pitched a 1L stirplate starter and kegged on March 19th. It may have been fast, but it was a 1.040 Bitter, and is the same process I have followed before, fermentation started in about 12 hours and was complete in about 3 days at 64°F. The off flavor is ash-tray, tobacco, and a little leathery, it is VERY unusual, I have never tasted it in a batch before.

Here is the recipe:

GENERAL:
Beer: Best Bitter
Type: All grain
Size: 6 gallons
Color: 15 HCU (~10 SRM)
Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.009
Alcohol: 4.5% v/v (3.6% w/w)
Water: 1t Gypsum

GRAINS:
8 lb. Marris Otter
8 oz. British crystal 75
3 oz. Pale Chocolate
15 oz. Flaked Corn

HOPS:
2 oz. Kent Golding (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Kent Golding (4.5% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Kent Golding (aroma, flame-out)

YEAST:
1L stirplate starter of WY1028, London Ale

Here are the variables from previous batches:
1. Used Kent Goldings for Bittering, and twice as much for flavor and aroma by accident.
2. Pale Chocolate addition (generally like the stuff in brown ales and milds, thought it might go well with a higher-hopped bitter)
3. Wyeast 1028, I usually go with WY1968 for this beer, but brew shops 1968 were much older, 1028 was just a few weeks old. That said, I have used 1028 before with excellent results, just not in a bitter with this recipe.

Any thoughts, will this go away? Will it go away as the yeast drops, it is still pouring pretty cloudy.

Thanks,
Paul

it's the pale chocolate, it won't go away. when used for color/character i keep it under .5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. in a porter or stout the tobacco flavors blend in nicely but anything lighter it can get weird fast.

Ugh, that's really disappointing. Why have I seen it included in others' recipes? I still have a bit of hope, I am going to hit it with gelatin tonight just to get all particulate matter to drop as fast as possible. I guess time to brew more!

Latest posts

Back