Help me recreat his hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a partial mash Hefe Weizen about a month ago and I would like repeat it. The resulting beer was more of a Kristal Weizen, but I did not filter it. I had a boil over and lost an undetermined amount of wort.

Could this be the reason the resulting beer was so clear? Is there any way to try again without the boil over (use less DME or grain)?

The OG was 1.041 and FG was 1.004.

Thanks,

Matt

psymn said:
Hi all,

I brewed a partial mash Hefe Weizen about a month ago and I would like repeat it. The resulting beer was more of a Kristal Weizen, but I did not filter it. I had a boil over and lost an undetermined amount of wort.

Could this be the reason the resulting beer was so clear? Is there any way to try again without the boil over (use less DME or grain)?

The OG was 1.041 and FG was 1.004.

The boilover? Nah. What was the recipe? What equipment are you using? Give us a little more information.

It was probably clear because you let it sit for a while and did not disturb the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle when pouring.

All my hefe's are clear until I leave the last 1/2 inch or so and shake the bejesus out of it to break up the yeast then pour it into my glass.

homebrewer_99 said:
All my hefe's are clear until I leave the last 1/2 inch or so and shake the bejesus out of it to break up the yeast then pour it into my glass.

Or you could simply roll the beer for the similar effect. Remember to keep the top on it before you lay it in it's side.;)

From what I was taught, Hefe means "With" ... as in With yeast. I guess that the biggest differances from Hefe and Ale yeast strains is flocculation. I for one reject our new hefe overlords. All my hefes have an extreme yeast taste to it...

Krystal is filtered hefe. You must use a filter that will strip all yeast from your beer. These plate filters are pretty cheap now-adays. I'm going to invest in one myself here soon, just becuase it does reduce the yeast flavor, and improves clarity in the beer, and homebrewers sometimes need that ( I know I do! ). :fro:

digdan said:
From what I was taught, Hefe means "With" ... as in With yeast...Krystal is filtered hefe. You must use a filter that will strip all yeast from your beer...just because it does reduce the yeast flavor, and improves clarity in the beer...:fro:
Close, but not entirely correct..."hefe" means "yeast". I think you meant to say "mit hefe?" or "with yeast?" "Ohne hefe" means "without yeast". They don't even ask if you order a Kristall...no reason to.

Kristall is HW with it's yeast filtered out prior to bottling/kegging.

If you want a homebrewed Kristall-style just leave more of the sediment in the bottom of the buckets and bottle.

You can also bottle, cap, place the bottles in their cases and give each bottle a couple of spins. This starts a cyclonic action in the bottles which assist any floating yeast solids to fall to the bottom faster.

Once your bottles have the carbonation level you desire place them in the fridge and the yeast will (IMO) compress a bit under the cold.

When you pour move your glass a couple of inches away from the bottle so you can begin to produce an "assisted artificial" head and just leave the yeast behind. I called it "artificial" because when I stir up the yeast in the bottle it produces a nice tight creamy head that's different from the other one.:D

Back