Help me pick a yeast for my porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a porter (extract) from a MoreBeer kit. The recipe is as follows:

Malt
7lbs ultralight
4oz maltodextrin

Steeping Grains
1 lb Crystal 40L
8 oz Black Patent
4 oz chocolate

Hops
1 oz Northern Brewer 60min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

MoreBeer recommends White Labs California Ale, 73-80% att, medium Floc. I've never used White Labs before, only Wyeast. I will be making a starter. The Wyeast equivalent is 1056 American. I searched on White Labs and Wyeast sites for recommended porter yeasts, and the ones that looked the most appropriate were the White Labs WLP 002 English, and the Wyeast 1098 British.
Any thoughts on what yeast would be the best fit for this particular recipe? While I love the porter style, I've never brewed one before. I have quite a few successful extract brews under my belt, but just need some advice on this one. Thanks.

With the late Cascade addition that is an American style porter. The California ale yeast would be quite appropriate although you could use one of the UK strains if you wish.

I brewed my porter with Wyeast Ringwood #1187 and I really like the taste that came out. Can't compare it to another yeast though.

With a porter, I usually go dry US-05 or S-04. With the level of roast and bitter I like in my brown porter and robust porter I can't pick up any appreciable hints of yeast ester anyway.

I figure if the yeast works as well as it does to those styles, why bother with a starter and liquid yeast? I save that particular headache for beer styles that don't have decent dry yeast available, like hefes and belgians...

well, do you like more American porters (like SN Porter) or more English-style porters (like Fuller's)? That might help your decision. I agree, the Cascade hops indicate a more American style, but it would still probably be pretty tasty with an English yeast. I say just pick a yeast and go for it. Looks like a good recipe that'll turn out great whichever yeast you use!

You can't go wrong with 001 or 1056. I use WL001 more often then the 1056, but I have been repitiching it frequently.

well, do you like more American porters (like SN Porter) or more English-style porters (like Fuller's)? That might help your decision. I agree, the Cascade hops indicate a more American style, but it would still probably be pretty tasty with an English yeast. I say just pick a yeast and go for it. Looks like a good recipe that'll turn out great whichever yeast you use!

I tend to prefer the English style Porters, but with the Cascade, I think I'll probably go with the American yeast. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Considering you're using American hops I'd recommend sticking with an American yeast strain (that's just how I do things.) Don't underestimate dry yeast; they may be cheap but they are champs. US-05 FTW!!1! However if you don't care about that, I'd highly recommend S-04 (love it) if you want a slightly fruity ester profile or Nottingham (also great) which works fast and flocculates on the quick. In this past year, the ladyfriend and I have used the aforementioned three yeasts for the vast majority of our brews with amazing results.

If you'd like to use liquid yeast, try a California Ale or West Coast Ale strain.

I love WLP028 (Edinburgh) for anything that I want a little malt to shine through. I've done porters, stouts, and even an IIPA with great results.

Back