Help me get more head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantomlord

Reaction score
...retention, that is

my head retention has been crap lately--not sure for how long exactly, but at least 4 or 5 brews running.

to answer the first question, it's not my glassware. no issues with my friends' homebrews, or commercial brews.

I typically use a single infusion mash in my 10 gallon igloo cooler mash tun with no mashout. Batch sparge, brew on stovetop, run an immersion chiller. I keg, and carb most of my beers to ~2.4 volumes or so, but even with the Belgian Golden Strong I did (3.0 volumes), still basically no retention. I usually get decent pours--an inch or so of head initially (more on the Belgian), no bubbles in the line, etc, but the head fades very rapidly.

In case it's helpful, the BGSA was nothing but 15# pilsner, and 3# invert sugar (added after krausen dropped).
Same issue with my ESB:
11 lbs Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
.75 lbs British Crystal 55°L
.125 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
.125 lbs Aromatic Malt

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

1) have you been brewing the same recipes and just noticed this?

2) I've had good results with flaked oats and/or honey in producing nice frothy heads.

3) did you try taking her some place nice? Or just buy her something for no reason. Usually works.

1) have you been brewing the same recipes and just noticed this?

2) I've had good results with flaked oats and/or honey in producing nice frothy heads.

3) did you try taking her some place nice? Or just buy her something for no reason. Usually works.
different recipes, but nothing too different than anything else I've brewed...similar amount of crystal and/or roasted malts, etc. with the exception of the BGSA

Handwashed glasses are a must.
yep. not my issue, though, bcz as I mentioned, no problems with other people's or commercial brews

flaked barley works also
I have used flaked barley in the past...might give it a go again

0.5 lb of wheat is supposed to work well
might give that a try again. good for some brews, but I don't necessarily want wheat in everything.

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Has your water supply changed at all. I believe that carbonation and head retention can be adversely affected by PH level and water chemistry. There are articles out there that explain this in greater detail. You may want to have your water tested or at least consider this as an issue.

Has your water supply changed at all. I believe that carbonation and head retention can be adversely affected by PH level and water chemistry. There are articles out there that explain this in greater detail. You may want to have your water tested or at least consider this as an issue.

good thought...I haven't tested my water, and haven't changed anything water related on my end. That's not to say the village hasn't changed anything, though.

Do you use any of your brewing gear for cooking food? Any residual fat from foods will kill your head. I say that because even though what others have mentioned will improve your head, if you're not getting any head right now that is definitely a problem. You should be looking at your process and cleanliness/sanitation.

Temperature will also affect head. If its too cold you will get little to no head.

I recently did a SMaSH with Maris Otter... that had the best head retention/fluffiest head on any beer I've brewed (and I've done brews with 40-50% wheat). Something to think about.

how are you carbing? burst carbing? shanking?

BYO said:
Lastly, homebrewers who keg their beer should be aware that foam positive molecules can get “used up” when foam is created. Thus, if you shake your keg to carbonate it, you may be dipping into your pool of foam makers for your beer.

How long are you chilling? I find that the bubbles become finer with longer refrigeration. This has been an observation more with bottled beer. I have only kegged about four batches.

Do you use any of your brewing gear for cooking food? Any residual fat from foods will kill your head. I say that because even though what others have mentioned will improve your head, if you're not getting any head right now that is definitely a problem. You should be looking at your process and cleanliness/sanitation.

Temperature will also affect head. If its too cold you will get little to no head.
my brewing equipment only sees brewing. no soap/detergent, either. just PBW/water

what temperature? mash? fermentation? serving?

I recently did a SMaSH with Maris Otter... that had the best head retention/fluffiest head on any beer I've brewed (and I've done brews with 40-50% wheat). Something to think about.
the ESB was mostly MO

how are you carbing? burst carbing? shanking?
I never shake (or shank) when I carb. Generally, 36 hours at 30 psi, purge, then serving pressure (10± depending on the style)

How long are you chilling? I find that the bubbles become finer with longer refrigeration. This has been an observation more with bottled beer. I have only kegged about four batches.
I carb and store at fridge temps. so, these beers have been cold for weeks.

What are the original and final gravities of the beers in question?
ESB: 1.060 - 1.012
BGSA: 1.084 - 1.010

my brewing equipment only sees brewing. no soap/detergent, either. just PBW/water

what temperature? mash? fermentation? serving?
Serving Temp. Also allowing the bottle to fully condition will improve head retention.

Your final gravities look good. I mean 1.010 is dry for a 1.084 OG beer but Belgians should finish dry. Maybe some flaked barley or wheat will do the trick.
Over doing the keg lube? Type and amount?
What do you use to clean your kegs?
I see serving at 10 psi at "fridge" temp. What is your fridge temp?

Your final gravities look good. I mean 1.010 is dry for a 1.084 OG beer but Belgians should finish dry. Maybe some flaked barley or wheat will do the trick.
Over doing the keg lube? Type and amount?
What do you use to clean your kegs?
I see serving at 10 psi at "fridge" temp. What is your fridge temp?

clean with water, and/or PBW only, sanitize with starsan just before filling
I use the bare minimum amount of keg lube...not sure offhand what kind.
fridge is right around 40°

Are you getting foam as you pour/right after pouring and it quickly disappears or is there no foam at all?

I get nice foam on the pour, but it dissipates pretty quickly

No issues I can see. At 10 psi and 40f you get 2.3 volumes that's a little low for me. 13 psi would get you 2.5 volumes and it might help to hold up the head. You might need longer lines to get a good pour.

Latest posts

Back