Help Me Fix My Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkeagle03

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of my CO2 regulator. That black part with the spring was screwed into the opening facing the camera. I'm not really sure what it is - a blowoff valve maybe? After a few uses the regulator started leaking massively through that area, so I'd like to either replace that black piece or even just put something on that plugs that connection up. This is used for 16g CO2 cartridges so I'm not too concerned about any real damage from pressure buildup.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do either and get this thing working again?

MXmsqWGhT23BbU1r2

broken CO2 regulator.jpg

Last edited:
you can't see it too well in the picture, but the black piece just has a hole that goes all the way through. It's basically a tube and doesn't look like it would do anything, which makes me wonder if it broke, but I don't know what the piece is called to even see what it's supposed to look like or order a new one.

Pretty sure it's just a pressure relief valve. The entire point of the black plastic piece is to hold that spring, which applies the pressure. When/if the spring pressure is overcome, the excess pressure is relieved.

Pretty sure it's just a pressure relief valve. The entire point of the black plastic piece is to hold that spring, which applies the pressure. When/if the spring pressure is overcome, the excess pressure is relieved.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking but it's clearly not working, so either the pressure release valve itself is broken, the spring isn't strong enough, or the black piece isn't long enough. Assuming the release valve itself isn't broken, do you have any suggestions how to keep it closed? If it is broken, can it be replace or does that leave the whole regulator shot?

I would think something internally to the regulator is fouled up. Can you disassemble that piece inside the body (looks like a brass piece in the picture) and see if anything looks obviously wrong? I can't see it real well, but I think your problem is in there somewhere. I would think the brass piece would move in and out (or something else does), creating a seal when it's in and held there by the spring. When the gas pressure overcomes the spring pressure, it pushes the piece out and breaks the seal, letting gas flow thru.

Is there a missing ball or something that seals off that orafice using the spring pressure ?
No offense, but honestly, I'm wondering why you're asking us dummies, I think you need to be talking to the manufacturer about this

Is there a missing ball or something that seals off that orafice using the spring pressure ?
No offense, but honestly, I'm wondering why you're asking us dummies, I think you need to be talking to the manufacturer about this

I already emailed the manufacturer. They said "sounds like your regulator is bad, send us $70 for a new one." I'd much rather see if I can fix it than drop $70 to get a 5L kegerator that costs < $200 new working.

This is a possibility. A ball bearing covering the small orifice in the brass piece, held in place by the spring.

I removed the brass part and it's just flat on the bottom with a little rubber circle that presses down to form a seal on the opening. Everything seems OK as far as I can tell. I may try the epoxy method or superglue and see what happens.

If you epoxy the hole, there will be no way for the pressure to release. Sure you want to go that way?

Can a 16g CO2 cartridge cause a lot of damage? It doesn't seem like there's enough in there to do much. And I think I'm going to try some other stuff first - - namely trying to put some kind of bigger rubber seal, or at least lubricant on the existing one - but I need to figure out a way to test the regulator without blowing through a cartridge every time it doesn't work.

Can a 16g CO2 cartridge cause a lot of damage? It doesn't seem like there's enough in there to do much. And I think I'm going to try some other stuff first - - namely trying to put some kind of bigger rubber seal, or at least lubricant on the existing one - but I need to figure out a way to test the regulator without blowing through a cartridge every time it doesn't work.

Hmmm....didn't see the 16g cartridges the first time I read your post. Makes me wonder if it matters...on the other hand, if they designed it that way.....i.e., to have a PRV.....

When looking at it again, I did notice one weird thing, that brass fitting can be flipped upside down and the little knob that sticks out seems to be a perfect fit for the opening. I wonder if this may create a more difficult and/or permanent seal.

I already emailed the manufacturer. They said "sounds like your regulator is bad, send us $70 for a new one.".
LOL , Bastids !!

I assume the CO2 comes pissing out that orfice when you connect a cartridge? if so, something is supposed to seal that up, and it aint gonna be a spring... maybe a needle valve, a viton ball, something. Too bad someone else doesn't have one to take apart and have a look

That's pretty crappy customer service. the least they could've done is tell you what parts are used in there. Please post the brand name so we can avoid doing business with company.

LOL , Bastids !!

I assume the CO2 comes pissing out that orfice when you connect a cartridge? if so, something is supposed to seal that up, and it aint gonna be a spring... maybe a needle valve, a viton ball, something. Too bad someone else doesn't have one to take apart and have a look

That's pretty crappy customer service. the least they could've done is tell you what parts are used in there. Please post the brand name so we can avoid doing business with company.

Yes, it empties the cartridge in about 4-5 seconds through that hole. It worked fine for the first 2 or so times I used it but then failed (but I didn't know that's what failed - I thought I screwed up at first).

The setup is like this:

___...................__
RO 0 l|-- {SS} 0PS0
----...................---

RO = regulator Opening
l|-- = brass fitting with a rubber coating that covers the hole in the regulator opening
{SS} = spring
PS = plastic stopper (the black piece in the picture)

(I'll try to put a real picture later today)

The brass fitting covers the opening in the regulator. The spring presses on the fitting to keep it pushed against the opening, closing it. The plastic stopper screws in and applies pressure to the spring creating tension. Theoretically, if the CO2 pressure exceeds the spring tension it will push the brass stopper up releasing excess CO2 out of the opening.

So either there isn't a good seal being made, the spring isn't strong enough, the plastic stopper can't be screwed in tight enough, or there is something messed up internally that is generating enough pressure that it actually needs to be released. The rate of release seems too fast for that though.

The company is Edgestar and this is for their seemingly discontinued mini kegerator. I think I'm going to try reaching out again now that I have a little more info and at least know what parts to ask about.

Just an update for anyone that was following this thread, or looks it up in the future:

I contacted Edgestar again and got a different rep. I explained my situation with more information and also explicitly stated that I'd prefer to attempt to repair it instead of paying $70 for a new regulator. He put in a much better effort, looked at pictures, and said he'd talk with a repair tech. He also offered to sell me a new regulator for $25 instead of the normal $59 and waive the standard $10 shipping fee. That's something I'm going to take him up on. The customer service experience was way better this time!

I'd still like to see if I can fix this one for the heck of it. Plus it wouldn't hurt to have an extra regulator sitting around should I run into another problem in the future.

Back