Help me decide what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer. I currently have a Scottish 70 ready to be consumed, in a week or so I will move my RIS to secondary and will have an open primary waiting to be filled. Looking for it to be ready by end of Oct.

I am not a hop-head, so I don't care for IPA or even APA. I also don't like Cascade hops. I do like most British styles, save for the real hoppy ones.

I like Oktoberfest beers, but don't have the ability to lager so I have thought about an Alt but I am a bit worried that I might be too malt heavy with a S70 and an Alt.

Other ideas? Dry Irish Stout? Bitters? Ambers? Others?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you thought of a peach blonde, I just did it and it's delicious. My first extract with grains was a wilds Irish red, very good also. Do you like wheat beers?

I don't mind wheat beer. However, I am not a big fan of fruit flavored wheat beers. Wouldn't a wheat be a bit "out of season" by end of Oct.?

It's getting to beer stout time. I would suggest a nice cream stout or perhaps a chocolate porter. By the time you brew and age, these would be good beers to fight off Old Man Winter.

How about a Belgian strong/dark ale or a nice Smoked porter. Think Winter. You'll need a beer that warms you.

DrunkleJon said:
I always find a Nut Brown Ale to be a nice fall/early winter beer.

I'm brewing that tomorrow hopefully it comes today

Smoked porter sounds interesting...do you have a recipe?
OK here you go.

Get the makings for the porter of your choosing. to it add Briess Munich 10L whole grain, 1 lb.

Take the Briess 10L and smoke it (the entire 1lb.) for 20 to 70 minutes. Make sure your smoker has COOL billowing white smoke. Don't let the temp get above 200. Use any hardwood you want; leave the bark on. I believe you will get better flavor if the wood is a little green still.

After smoking let the grains rest for a few days at room temp. Then grind the grains then add them to the steep on brew day.

The recipe i used:Extract

GRAIN
6# Mutons Dark DME
SPECIALTY GRAIN
1# 8oz Mutons Chocolate
1#Briess Munich 10L (to smoke)
1# Dingemans Special B
HOPS
1oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
1oz UK Fuggle (last 20 min)
Yeast
SAFALE04

Good luck! When i made it i smoked the grain for 70 minutes. The beer is AWESOME but i wanted smoke, smoke, smoke, & smoke. As it ages the roast comes out beautifully.

The only problem is, and it's no big deal, the Head retention is crap. The carbonation is good though. It seams the carbon from the smoke interferes with retention.

I don't have a smoker, but I will file this one away for when I get a bit more advanced. Thank you.

Back