Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did we ever decide if that Old Honey was actually cooked or I just had all kinds of burnt honey flavors still in my mouth?

Well looking at the crystals in the lower half after you left, I don't think it was cooked, I think it just was a combination of his dad's harvesting late and natural carmelization/concentration though age, like how old LME gets darker over time.

Hi Revvy,

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your health and say that I've learned a heck of a lot from your posts and really appreciate your presence on this site.

Cheers!

Revvy,

Sorry to hear about your heart. That sucks! You answered a lot of my questions last year when I was trying to figure out powder, liquid,and hot water and what is this green stuff? What do you mean I cant drink it after one week? Oh yeah you told me that after many trips to the bathroom!!! You have inspired me to get off my butt and stop putting off that Barley Wine. It will be on the brew line up for next month. So plan on getting a few bottles from Georgia. I can't promise I can wait 5 years to sample mine though. Might have to give you quarterly reports on it!:D

Thanks Jud. Glad I could help!

Well I just racked it over to a better bottle, added a pound of sugar syrup and added a starter of Whitelabs Trappist High Grav yeast. Hopefully it will add another layer or flavor.

I will say it was a pita to rack with all the hops.

39582_441827889066_620469066_5269975_1408719_n.jpg

Had to make room for more yeast so I pulled a glass. Wow. Intense. It will be amazing in 5 years when it mellows. It is @ 1.040 now so around 12.5 abv. It tastes like a hot double arrogant baster clone on steroids.

Sorry for the bad pic, but

33739_441836124066_620469066_5270319_7324775_n.jpg

It is a fairly dark brown.

This sounds like an intersting brew. Sorry to hear about the heart condition(s)

AAA - Aortic Angina Ale?

I'll have to go back and check out the recipe. Sounds tasty.

Looks like this may be it...

Revvy's 50th Birthday or Memorial Barleywine.

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 9/14/2010
Style: American Barleywine Brewer: Revvy
Batch Size: 5.25 gal Assistant Brewer: The HBT gang
Boil Volume: 6.32 gal Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.42 %
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
3 lbs Briess Carabrown® Malt (55.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %

0.55 oz Galena [13.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 15.2 IBU
0.55 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 11.7 IBU
0.55 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.6 IBU
0.55 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 6.4 IBU

1.66 oz Galena [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 41.6 IBU
0.55 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (90 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.55 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (90 min) Hops 16.0 IBU

0.28 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.55 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.7 IBU

0.55 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.55 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU

1.00 tsp Yeast Energizer (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
1 lbs 8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.13 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.27 %

2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale (after 1 week)
2 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [Starter 35 ml] [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.150 SG (1.080-1.120 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.032 SG (1.016-1.030 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 41.3 SRM (10.0-19.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 150.0 IBU (50.0-120.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 15.73 %

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 32.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 26.50 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 1.72 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 33.13 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Notes
Do a decotion of about a gallon or so.
Starter made from 2 tubes Cali Ale on Brewday. 1-2 tubes in starter a week later. Add the Belgian to Secondary (Made with 1/2 gallon of reserved wort.

Has it been long enough to taste test? ....Are you thinking of publishing it to the recipe data base?

Thanks,
Bill

Has it been long enough to taste test? ....Are you thinking of publishing it to the recipe data base?

Thanks,
Bill

When I racked it to a better bottle along with a pound of sugar solution and the trappist yeast, I pulled about a glass worth to make room. And I drank it during the lion's game. At that point it was @ 1.040 which put it at 12.5% Even though it is uncarbed and obviously green it had a lot of character, but the alcohol was so raw right now it still overpowered it. But there is complexity. It's really bitter, but not mouth drying like I thought it would be. It bore a big resemblance to Double Arrogant Bastard, but on steroids. It had lots of malty and spicy goodness, and a really thick caramally mouthfeel. It's going to be majorly awesome when it's done...at least I hope so.

Hey Revvy, I just saw this thread and I'd like to offer you my best wishes. You've given me helpful advice on several occasions, and I'm sure you'll continue to help new brewers without hesitation:).

Keep on hangin' in there, Revvy-- you've got a hell of a brew waiting for you in 5 years:mug:.

Hehehehe....This is what I found when I got home from work today.

Yeah! Rock&roll man!! :rockin: :D
Actually, I'm here to thank you for your posts here around, I'm testing primary-only on an IPA because some of your posts. It tastes good except a bit of cardboard, but I know it's soon to tell: I'm going to bottle it next sunday so I'll see how it comes with two conditioning months. Anyway, it's clearer than any other beer I made ;)

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

I'm testing primary-only on an IPA because some of your posts. It tastes good except a bit of cardboard... I'm going to bottle it next sunday so I'll see how it comes with two conditioning months.

:off:

If it's a cardboard taste it may be due to oxidation, and it might get worse with aging.

Best of luck, though!

Yeah! Rock&roll man!! :rockin: :D
Actually, I'm here to thank you for your posts here around, I'm testing primary-only on an IPA because some of your posts. It tastes good except a bit of cardboard, but I know it's soon to tell: I'm going to bottle it next sunday so I'll see how it comes with two conditioning months. Anyway, it's clearer than any other beer I made ;)

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

Yeah, some batches I've done start with a bit of cardboard overtones, but it seems like bottle conditioning clears that up. ...so far I've been lucky.

Revvy

Would you care to make any comments on the success of your fermentation schedule? Is the beer attenuating well and are you having any problems with the fermentation stalling?

Thanks

Revvy

Would you care to make any comments on the success of your fermentation schedule? Is the beer attenuating well and are you having any problems with the fermentation stalling?

Thanks

I thought I did, but I see I posted it in another thread where someone just asked how it was doing.

Well, About a week ago I took a grav reading and it was down to 1.040, on the same day I racked it to a better bottle added a pound of sugar boiled in a half gallon of water and pitched a starter of WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast, and wrapped it in a thermal blanket. I will take a grav reading again next week, and see where it is at, and see if it is time to bulk age it in glass for a few months.

At 1.040 it is 12.5% Abv already. I pulled a glass out of it, and I can't say it is smooth yet (more like rocket fuel), but it was complex. It will be nice.

So I will take a reading this weekend, but by the krausen I saw a few hours after I raked it, I would say it is now below the 1.040 it was at last weekend.

I'd say that I didn't really give the yeast time to stall. I had pitched the second round of cali yeast a week or more before this round, and moving it and adding the yeast at 1.040 more than likely prevented it from stalling there.

I just looked at my beersmith, and though I'm not sure if it is factoring in the second and third yeasting, but it says that the FG range should be anywhere from 1.016-1.030, so as long as I get it in there I should be happy. But the guy that recommended the bizarre yeasting regimen said I might get as low as 1.010.

But 1.030 would put it at 14.96% ABV. 1.16 @ 16.55% and 1.010 @ 17.61.....my liver is hurting just thinking about it....but I'm not going to complain if I even got it to 1.030. That is still pretty insane. :fro:

We'll see.

Wow, that is really amazing! I'm thinking of a big barleywine to brew this winter and drink the next. It won't as big as your's but I'm inspired by the schedule you used and it seems things are going well without any major hiccups.

And yes, getting to 1.010 would be absolutely nuts!

Thanks for responding!

Wow, that is really amazing! I'm thinking of a big barleywine to brew this winter and drink the next. It won't as big as your's but I'm inspired by the schedule you used and it seems things are going well without any major hiccups.

And yes, getting to 1.010 would be absolutely nuts!

Thanks for responding!

I think the answer lies in plenty of healthy yeast, plenty of yeast nutrients/energizers in the boil, lots of oxygen initially (both at yeast pitch and within the next 12 hours) mashing relatively low for all grain, adding multiple yeast infusions as well as more sugar down the line.

Revvy - Couldn't help but think of you while reading the "Size Matters: All About Barleywines" article in the latest Zymurgy. Check it out if you can, I bet you dig it. Haven't been keeping up with this thread and hope all is going well with you and your super batch! Cheers brotha!

Revvy - Couldn't help but think of you while reading the "Size Matters: All About Barleywines" article in the latest Zymurgy. Check it out if you can, I bet you dig it. Haven't been keeping up with this thread and hope all is going well with you and your super batch! Cheers brotha!

Funny I was just reading it this morning.- Good articles on that, the Egyptian beer and brewing sugars. I have to say one of the better issues in awhile.

By the way gang, I just realize that the mash temp in the originally recipe I posted is wrong. On brew day the guys I was with talked me into mashing really low to bring out more fermentables.

I mashed at 148

In the latest BYO they too suggest mashing low for more fermentables in their barleywines. That is what reminded me that I did it and never recorded it on here.

SORRY if anyone's brewed it already and didn't hit their numbers. You still made beer. ;)

*hangs head in shame*

How could you?!
;)
I'm really excited to hear more updates about this, it sounds so interesting. I'm sure you have already noticed, but I started my own thread as I gear up to jump into a barleywine of my own. Just wanted to take an opportunity to thank you for a little inspiration and a little insight.

Rockandroll

How could you?!
;)
I'm really excited to hear more updates about this, it sounds so interesting. I'm sure you have already noticed, but I started my own thread as I gear up to jump into a barleywine of my own. Just wanted to take an opportunity to thank you for a little inspiration and a little insight.

Rockandroll

Yeah a lot of people have gotten on the Barleywine Bandwagon lately....I'm kinda honored actually.

This weekend I WILL rack it to my glass carboy, so I will take a current grav reading and more than likely another taste. I'm also planning to bottle the second runnings beer as well.

I mentioned on and off the last year that for my 45th Birthday I had planned to brew a huge Barleywine that I wanted to lay up for 5 years until my 50th. But with all the heart crap going on this summer, plans for it, and even the desire for it has fallen by the wayside.

My Birthday was August 27th.

And to be brutally honest, I have no clue if I'm even going to be alive in 5 years to enjoy the fruits of this endeavor.
:mug:

I hope you are doing better....

"Cart before the Horse" is a great name.

...or if you'll allow me some irony 'alla Pliny the Elder' one could call it "Anthusa the Younger". She was a Persian Christian who was tossed into a bag and drowned. August 27th is her feastday.

Well I just bottled 4 gallons of the 2nd runnings beer. I guess it's an amber ale. The fg was 1.017. Now if I can only find where I posted what the OG of it was.

39607_450816699066_620469066_5415590_1217730_n.jpg

Well I just bottled 4 gallons of the 2nd runnings beer. I guess it's an amber ale. The fg was 1.017. Now if I can only find where I posted what the OG of it was.

You need a log book, or better yet a copy of BeerSmith! :mug:

Oh, Revvy, Revvy, Revvy, terrible news! I can tell from the photo the beer is infected. You'll want to get that away from your equipment as SOON as possible to avoid cross contamination. I will, this one time and only because I'm in a generous mood, agree to take care of this, at great risk to myself and my own equipment. Please PM for disposal address.

Like many others have said, Revvy I have no advice to give. However, as a newbie I have learned alot from you already, and I look forward to learning more in the next 5 years as we approach opening day for this insane beer you made. This thread has been amazing so far.

As an aside, with a history of heart problems in my family, I feel for you and you will be in my prayers.

We've got a barleywine on deck for Saturday. Nothing as ambitious as yours, Revvy, but if a couple of noobs give a big brew a shot then I feel that's as much of a legacy as anything for you, Master Yoda. ;)

I was kind of busy this weekend to post an update....but Saturday was racking day. And Sunday was bottling the second running's beer.

33926_451386094066_620469066_5430481_7590301_n.jpg

76370_451386184066_620469066_5430488_1564526_n.jpg

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Despite the second yeasting of cali ale AND the racking to a secondary with a pound of candi syrup and trapist high gravity ale yeast, it appears to be finished at 1.040.

Am I worried about it? NO. Am I going to mess with it by adding amalyze to it? NO. I just racked it to a glass tertiary, stuck a T-shirt on it, and put it next tho the furnace in a dark corner of my GF's basement. The warmth may get it to drop or it might not.

I tasted it, and despite it being very alcoholly (at 12.5% abv) it is very tasty. In 6-12 months I will dry hop it and bottle it, and forget about it for 4 more years....and it's going to be one of the best beers I ever brewed. At least the biggest and mellowist.

I still haven't decided on oaking it or not. I still am leaning on the side of not.

OMG what is all that weirdo white foamy stuff in your carboys?? And I see it on your hydrometer too! Is that a mold infection? Is that a no rinse sanitizer that you didn't rinse out??? AHHHHH!!

:p
:D

OMG what is all that weirdo white foamy stuff in your carboys?? And I see it on your hydrometer too! Is that a mold infection? Is that a no rinse sanitizer that you didn't rinse out??? AHHHHH!!

I LOL'ed. :fro:

(For newbs, that was a *joke*... Revvy's beer is not moldy.)

Still NOT gonna work. I'n not sending it to ANYONE for proper disposal. :)

Actually that's because I used a cooler as a mash tun...or was it a hot tub? ;)

Oh trust me I don't want that moldy beer! That kind of infection would probably kill anyone who went near it, I would hate to see how it would melt my insides if I drank it.

Actually I can't stand that old, tire joke of "i'll dispose of it properly".

And that beer will only melt your insides with its delicious goodiness. and perhaps its high ABV. :)

Just ran across this thread ol bud....still praying for ya! This is awesome and a lot of info. I am one of the ones, as you know, that coughed up, dues for membership, after seeing so much info. on HBT(your Ugly Corona thread was my turning point).

And now, because of you, I am contemplating a Barley Wine, very fast, just like yours and invite anyone over that lives around me to teleconference with you while we simultaneously crack open a few bottles and alter our minds with this over the top Barley Wine. I fear that I am not up to it, skill wise, so expect lots of PMs if I try to do it.

Name for pondering.....Revvy's 50th Birthday Barley, then change for the next year....Revvy's 51st Birthday Barley....you get the picture, if you save a bunch of vials of the stuff....Revvy's 1001st Birthday Barley?

Thanks for another GREAT thread, how much money went into the batch, all together?

I'd warm up by brewing a delicious allgrain IPA or something that doesn't take too long to make. It will give you something delicious to enjoy while your figuring out what to make for this other recipe:) I've never made a barley wine but the suggestions on here so far sound good to me. Virginia Wolf

Back