Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brochet looks amazing. What color!!! Also, the habanero mead sounds fantastic. Great pictures, damn good looking food. Looks like it was fun!

Smitty hadn't mentioned ahead that he was doing a habenero mead. If I had know, rather than him doing two of them, I would have brought some of the various dried smoked peppers I use for my chocolate mole porter. I get them cheap at mexican groceries. But I have an assortment of ancho, chipotle and other smoky or raisny peppers, he could have used for the second batch. Oh well. We'll no for next time.

Sadly all I had to photgraph with was my camera. So it doesn't really do the colors of the brochet justice as it was cooking.

Sorry I couldn't be there to help you brew it, but I can try to come out there in 5 years and drink it with you. ;)

61818_434256744066_620469066_5128297_2901207_n.jpg

I had a feeling, after looking at that tiny little blow-off tube and such a big beer/pitch-rate in that bucket, that things were gonna get messy with this one.

Great stuff Revvy. I will certainly be following the progress on this monster. That habanero mead has just motivated me to try my first mead as well. Keep on keepin' on brother!

Such a shame; all that work and you ruin it by fermenting in PLASTIC. Haven't you heard, it will infect your beer.
I'll start running now....

Such a shame; all that work and you ruin it by fermenting in PLASTIC. Haven't you heard, it will infect your beer.
I'll start running now....

I won't even dignify that with a comment. ;)
(But come secondary time it will go into a glass carboy, since it will be in there for a year at least.)

That does look like an incredible day was had, thanks for the pics and the updates on the fermentation. I cant wait to see what it will look like in a beer glass.

Revvy - I just noticed that your home is like mine... uncovered outlets and likely a list of other home improvement projects that are a mile long. Glad to see your Bareleywine took precedence. Priorities, mate. Priorities.

Revvy - I just noticed that your home is like mine... uncovered outlets and likely a list of other home improvement projects that are a mile long. Glad to see your Bareleywine took precedence. Priorities, mate. Priorities.

Actually I live in a loft, this isn't my home, it's my girlfriend's. I live an hour away from her and my work (she's 10 minutes from my work in Detroit so I stay there a lot), and I didn't want to drive the BW back Port Huron. So I figured I'd leave it there at least through primary, since it's a basement and should be more stable temp wise.

Shes owned the house for like 12 years, and hates the basement. She only goes down to the basement to do laundry, since it's full of spiders and stuff. Hence the tacky 1970's two color walls that were there probably since you bought the house. There's actually a lot of DIY that needs to be done there, not just in the basement. I actually have done a bunch of stuff for her, like hang here flatscreen on the wall for her, and stuff like that.

That's what I'm talkin' bout! Your priorities are exemplary! Worthy of praise, mate.

Yeah. I guess she's had the tv AND the bracket for like 3 years. I was sick of seeing the bracket lying around. But it's funny she is a bigger sports fan than I am, and I figured she'd want it hung immediately for her baseball enjoyment.

Yeah. I guess she's had the tv AND the bracket for like 3 years. I was sick of seeing the bracket lying around. But it's funny she is a bigger sports fan than I am, and I figured she'd want it hung immediately for her baseball enjoyment.

Living in Detroit, man, that'd be tough if she was a Lions fan... :(

Living in Detroit, man, that'd be tough if she was a Lions fan... :(

Hey watch it, I am one....This is going to be our year. ;)
Actually I believe that before this beer gets opened, we WILL be in the playoffs. I'm not saying we'll win...just that we will be on a pretty good roll. I really like our new coach, so I'm hoping over the next few years, stuff gets sorted out.

Hey watch it, I am one....This is going to be our year. ;)
Actually I believe that before this beer gets opened, we WILL be in the playoffs. I'm not saying we'll win...just that we will be on a pretty good roll. I really like our new coach, so I'm hoping over the next few years, stuff gets sorted out.

I hope you're right.

As a part-time Colts fan, I know that we're in an upswing, and that the good times won't last past Peyton's retirement, but it sure is fun while it lasts! :D

Cubs? didn't they used to play in Chicago? :D I kid, I kid, I grew up there! Revvy, the Pics look like a busy yet fantastic time, I am interested in that Hab Mead, that could be tasty!

Wow... I grew up in Lapeer County (it's a county or two adjacent to you Revvy). I live Connecticut now, but after looking at the pictures it really made me want to make an impromptu visit to my family. Oh, and I would have been another helping hand at your brewfest.

Either way, best of luck to you Revvy. You've been a major help in my home brewing adventure.

I am sure the beer will be phenomenal.

Where in CT? I grew up in New Haven and miss it (and the pizza). If you haven't been to Bar in downtown New Haven, make the effort. They have a micro-brewery on the premises and make amazing brick oven pizza. That place is heaven.

I work in New Haven! and I LOVE pizza from Bar. The beer is okay (my homebrew is superior! :D ), but mashed potato pizza is amazing. If I have a really slow day, I'll go there for lunch.

Revvy, all that brewing on brewday is outstanding! Good luck with the barleywine and the heart (I was going to attach a 'more importantly' to that sentance, but then I couln't figure out which part of the sentance it applied to).
I work in cardiology. NICM isn't fun, but can be improved upon. I've seen patients have mitral valve prolapse and not do anything about it (because they were ghetto fab), and they experienced major decreases in cardiac function. So keep a close eye on it, and when the docs tell you to replace the valve, do it. I think you will do just fine. Besides, I can't imagine the brewing world without you... secondaries before the krausen falls, airlocks becoming the standard measurement of fermentation, infections running rampant... :mug:

I work in New Haven! and I LOVE pizza from Bar. The beer is okay (my homebrew is superior! :D ), but mashed potato pizza is amazing. If I have a really slow day, I'll go there for lunch.

Yeah, people never believe me that mashed potato pizza is good. I have had it elsewhere, and it is never as good as Bar's.

My brother works downtown in a research lab at Yale (I used to as well... back in the day) and just opened a new brew shop. Check him out... http://www.stompncrush.com/ Tell him JohnnyBrew sent you (his name is AL).

Cheers!

well Revvy im sorry to hear about your disease, but im sure youll be drinking that barley wine in 5 years.

live strong, be strong, brew strong.

Revvy,

What did you happen to pitch onto the second beer from the third runnings? I ended up with a 1.050 batch on the third time around (I had much less efficiency it seems) and am gonna sacrifice a vial of the WLP 001 and just get more later for the secondary. Thoughts?

(PS, sorry to copy your brew, but given my location and inability to attend/help, plus all I've learned from you, I decided to make my own in absentia)

~Wm

Revvy,

What did you happen to pitch onto the second beer from the third runnings? I ended up with a 1.050 batch on the third time around (I had much less efficiency it seems) and am gonna sacrifice a vial of the WLP 001 and just get more later for the secondary. Thoughts?

(PS, sorry to copy your brew, but given my location and inability to attend/help, plus all I've learned from you, I decided to make my own in absentia)

~Wm

I didn't pitch it onto anything, I just used a slug from the huge starter of the Cali-ale yeast I pitched into the Barleywine. I thought about doing something different, even pitching a pack of 05, but when I finished growing my starter (I decanted a couple times and added more wort during some of the feedings) that when I transfered it into a brown jug for transport, it was 3/4 of a gallon so I figured I pitched maybe 8-10 ounces of the bottom of the jar.

We didn't have any aged honey like you of course, but what I did have was a few pounds of Brazilian Pepper honey and Orange Blossom honey that my uncle makes. So all said, we ended up with an OG ~ 1.114. Alls I have right now is the WLP500, so I think I'll pitch it to get the wort moving, then hit up the store for more cali. My buddy already pitched all the Cali we had onto the BW this morning... At least we'll have a heck of a ferm. Just got back from his place installing a Blowoff. He had it in a carboy with a plug, so I helped him out a little.....
Thanks!
~Wm

It looks like you guys had a great time on your brew day. You did a great job on the photos! I think it is a great idea if you do the burnt mead at the brew day in November. I will be there again this year and just might brew.

Since reading about your Barleywine, you have inspired me to bew one for my 30th birthday (Ya ya ya... I'm a youngin AND a newbie... I'm used to the lack of respect, don't worry), and I have been sampling a few lately, and more to come. Right now I am savoring a Weyerbacher Insanity. I had their Blithering Idiot and wasn't extremely impressed (but enjoyed it, nonetheless, maybe rated it around a B.), however the cask aging has really enlivened this beer. Quite complex, smooth, and delicious.

So have you thought of aging with bourbon oak??

Since reading about your Barleywine, you have inspired me to bew one for my 30th birthday (Ya ya ya... I'm a youngin AND a newbie... I'm used to the lack of respect, don't worry), and I have been sampling a few lately, and more to come. Right now I am savoring a Weyerbacher Insanity. I had their Blithering Idiot and wasn't extremely impressed (but enjoyed it, nonetheless, maybe rated it around a B.), however the cask aging has really enlivened this beer. Quite complex, smooth, and delicious.

So have you thought of aging with bourbon oak??

I was your age once, so no worries. ;)

I've batted around the idea of oaking it, but, based on some conversations with folks, there may already be too much going on with the honey, the complex grain bill, the decoction/boiling and the two yeast strains, that oaking may detract from everything else going on. I'm not sure, and figure I don't need to make up my miind right away. Though if I magically laid my hands on a 5 gallon charred oak barrel I might think differently, but it would have to be dirt cheap right now..

I was your age once, so no worries. ;)

I've batted around the idea of oaking it, but, based on some conversations with folks, there may already be too much going on with the honey, the complex grain bill, the decoction/boiling and the two yeast strains, that oaking may detract from everything else going on. I'm not sure, and figure I don't need to make up my miind right away. Though if I magically laid my hands on a 5 gallon charred oak barrel I might think differently, but it would have to be dirt cheap right now..

haha, at least the thought is there! I like the option. Why not, right? If, in a year, you lay your hands on that barrel, transfer it! (Or whenever is appropriate... can I play a guessing game? If you are aging this for a total of ~5yrs, would oaking it after a year and then retransferring it off after say... a year, and letting it settle for the next 3... would that make it right?)
It definitely sounds like a complex batch, and surely will be outstanding on its own... but the Insanity begs to split a batch and see what oaking will do to it. Maybe steal a gallon and oak that.
...hmmm... after my second barleywine tonight (Victory Old Horizontal) I am getting a little... em... complex would be a good word. Perhaps too crazy... There is a thought in my head that perhaps splitting the brew would detract from its intent as a single batch to commemorate a pending occasion. However... I am sure years later you could unbottle it and oak it and rebottle it as an anniversary version, right??
:mug:
Cheers my man
... and don't be too harsh on my ramblings please... just BW philosophical musings... but comments are still appreciated!

Well, looks like I came across this thread a bit late! The Barley Wine looks great Revvy. I'm actually working on a barley wine myself. Gonna brew it in a few days. I'm sorry to hear about your heart condition. Hope all is well. Stay positive and keep on brewing! :mug:

Well I just pitched another starter of Cali Ale yeast. I was going to pull a grav sample but when I opened the bucket there was a huge nasty mixture of fallen krauzen and tons of whole hops sitting there on top, and I really didn't want to disturb it right now. I figure I will let it rock again for a week, and then rack it over to glass, pitch a pound of invert sugar syrup and then add the Trappist yeast for another fermentation which hopefully will drive it down to a decent terminal gravity.

Then I'll rack it to a tertiary to bulk age for awhile, and then dryhop it before I bottle it. Hopefully I'll be able to trap some aroma in the headspace that way.

Back