Help me choose my all grain- from [almost] the ground up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpingel

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Brief introduction-

My name is Alex, I have been brewing for 5 years now... time flies! I am an extract brewer, but I am ready to make the jump to all-grain and I am starting to plan out my equipment. One day I hope to build a fully automated system, but realizing I have very limited experience with all grain I think its best to start with a simple system and upgrade later. I am hoping to plan carefully enough that I can avoid redo'ing too many parts.

Anyway, key considerations:

Time frame: I would like to get my basic all grain system going this winter. Dream system will have to wait till I have considerably more all grain experience, so probably 1-2 years out.

Lack of skills: I do not know how to weld. I am hoping that over the course of the next couple of years I will learn enough to be able to MIG and TIG as needed to build my dream system. I am wrapping up another major project and will have the resources to start practicing in the spring (My car).

Current equipment worth noting: I have 3 SS kegs I purchased several years ago. At the time, I also cut the tops off and acquired SS ball valves and sight glasses from a member on this site. That's about it out of normal brewing equipment.

The only other thing to note is I want to build a propane system that I operate in my garage.

Thanks for any ideas/help you provide! Now off to start a new batch!
:mug:
Alex

With the kegs, you've got a great start. You need a burner (preferably two), to heat water and for your boil kettle, and a false bottom (unless you do BIAB, brew-in-a-bag) for the MLT. That's about it. Then all of those could be incorporated into your stand/brewing system in the future as well.

Back