HELP! I've got hop residue in my keg, and I'm serving at a festival!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I'm serving my beer at a local festival, and I made a mistake. I dry hopped with pellet hops in the fermenter, and I forgot to strain them out when I transferred to the corny kegs. I put the kegs in the fridge to cold crash, then I added gelatin. They are carbonating now, and when I tried to pull the gelatin out after a couple days, I got a ton of hop residue! Usually, the beer will be crystal clear after pulling a couple cloudy, gelatin-filled pints. This time, I'm still getting a lot of hop residue. These kegs have been cold crashing with gelatin for 3 days. Is there any way to get the hop residue out at this point?

I'm considering serving the samples with a muslin bag over the tap if I have to, but I'd hope to be able to remove the hop residue! Please advise!

How many pints of hop matter have you pulled? Lower the pressure to ~5psi and pull some beer until it runs clear then jumper it to another clean keg if you have one. You are probably just kicking up the hop matter/sediment.

Run it through a plate filter with coarse filter pads. That'll strip the hops right out.

Without moving the keg, you can "jump" to another keg under c02, and have far less debris to stir up. It's easy to do with two black disconnects and a length of beer serving line. Just connect that to the two "out" posts on the keg, and push with 2 psi of c02. Pull the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg every few seconds, and the beer will flow and fill the new keg, leaving the gelatin and other trub behind in the first keg.

I never strain after I dryhop, and the hops debris does settle very quickly. I bet most of it is settled.

How many pints of hop matter have you pulled? Lower the pressure to ~5psi and pull some beer until it runs clear then jumper it to another clean keg if you have one. You are probably just kicking up the hop matter/sediment.

I've been running it out at 12psi... I'm using all my kegs for the festival, so I'll just have to get as much out as possible. I had the fridge temp set too high for true cold crashing, so I lowered it to 33 degrees last night. Hopefully everything will have settled out tonight and I can pull it out the dip tube.

Latest posts

Back