HELP.. IPA and yeast complications :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laouboy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just got back from the brew shop and purchased some items for my new batch, I am brewing in a somewhat colder environment around 55 degrees max 60, I am brewing a IPA 6.9 abv and 79 ibu's my problem is that the homebrew shop said I could use san francisco WLP810 lager strain for this and it will give a good ale taste but more smooth. I want to know if this is a good choice, my choice was california ale but the envirement is a little cold and i dont want a stuck fermentation, do any of you all have any suggestions, should i go ahead and use this yeast, have any of you all had a good experience with this as an ale IPA? Thanks everyone

Cheers

I have used wlp810 in a Sam Adams Boston lager clone and it worked really well for that - allowed me to ferment at warmer than normal lager temps. I have not heard of this yeast being used for ales at cool temps, though I imagine it would work pretty well. Should give you a clean flavor.

FWIW, I think wlp001 would work just fine at 55-60.

A Kolsch yeast should also work well such as Wyeast 2565. I've used it in a split pale ale wort experiment comparing it to 1056/001 and 1098/002. I recall thinking it had a brighter hop flavor than the Cal Ale, but if you had finished one pint and then switched to the other, I'm not sure you'd realize they were different beers. It also could have been yeast character which blended with the hops rather than the hop showing more. Anyways, I think the 810 will work fine also - I have a vial that I'm waiting for cooler weather to use in both a Sam Adams clone and a steam beer. And thinking of putting it to use in Revvy's Kiss Yer Sister KY Common.

alrighty Im gonna give it a shot, Im thinking it will be a smooth IPA maybe a little too smooth ;) will keep you all posted

Back