help, got the hickups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrolte

Reaction score
up all night with hicups. had them for last 3 days. started with after every time i swallow. now it was all night long. feel like im gonna die. help.

Three days and sleeplessness is enough to warrant a doctor visit. Hang in there.

I have to second the Dr.'s visit. It sounds like a nerve problem, which isn't necessarily serious, but needs attention from a medical professional.

I’m an ER nurse and have seen quite a few people come in with intractable hiccups.

Have you ever had these episodes before?

Do the hiccups prevent you from sleeping?

If not, do they start up again once you wake up?

Here’s what I would suggest. If they have been persistent for this long, you might want to get checked out. First, you can try to place a tablespoon of sugar near the base of your tongue and let it dissolve. It’s a home remedy that has something to do with stimulation of the soft palate.

If they continue, I would call your family doctor and let him know what’s going on. You may need to go in for an ear exam as foreign bodies against the tympanic membrane can cause hiccups. He may or may not do a chest x ray and some simple blood work.

Usually what works is Thorazine 25-50 mg three to four times a day for 2-3 days.

Hope this helps.

i threw up and the hicups stopped immediately. i had last nites steak dinner just sitting there still. sorry for the tmi.

Back