Help! Glass stovetop has caked on burned wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Anyone know an easy way of cleaning this off? Its blacked/caremlized wort from prior boil over.

There's a specialized product for cleaning glass cooktops with a special scrubber. It's not overly expensive and will last a while. Cerama Bryte is one I can think of, but I have the equivalent that can be found at Lowes.

The scrubbers look like scotchbrite pads but they are not that abrasive/aggressive, and are specially made for glass cooktops.

Edit:
Don't forget to pick up some extra elbow grease because it'll be needed :D

Edit: The stuff I have is kenmore cooktop cleaning cream, and some red glass cooktop scrubbers.

I've used a razor-blade scraper to clean my glass cooktops (a GE and a KitchAid) for more than 20 years. No problem. Will not scratch glass, and (in my case) won't even remove the white lines and other markings on there. Everything comes off instantly.

BTW, Bar Keeper's Friend contains oxalic acid and is a good cooktop cleaner. Make a paste, apply, wipe off 5 minutes later.

All these suggestions sound like they will work.

If you want another suggestion, you can put a paper towel saturated with straight up household ammonia over the burnt wort and let it sit overnight. It will stink up your kitchen a little but the wort came up relatively easy the one time I tried this method.

make a paste of the pbw and put it on it and then cover with a wet rag for a few hours. i did it and it worked pretty good.

are you married? & if so, has your wife seen it yet? I'm pulling for you man...(I have to brew outside).

^ This. Or if you have kids blame it on them.
Also he's happier brewing outside more than likely. I know I never want to go inside unless it's to brew professionally.

I boiled over a decoction on an glass electric stove top once. I was never able to get it off completely. I didn't let it bother me too much, it was a rental house.

I boiled over a decoction on an glass electric stove top once. I was never able to get it off completely. I didn't let it bother me too much, it was a rental house.

I brew outdoors, but I make starters on the glasstop. I've had lots of boilovers. Believe me, at least on my top, the razor takes it off right away with very little effort.

I brew outdoors, but I make starters on the glasstop. I've had lots of boilovers. Believe me, at least on my top, the razor takes it off right away with very little effort.

I did try a butter knife and it didn't budge it. Not the same as a razor blade though. Ever heard of Fermcap? Works wonders to prevent the Erlenmeyer volcano. :)

I bet some sodium hydroxide based oven cleaner would loosen it up too.

OK, SAME QUESTION WRT enamel-topped stoves.

Some of it is wort, some of it is just random food/sauce that got burned in place. For the record, it's a gas stove.

I'm pretty sure the razor-blade trick would be a bad idea. ;)

I did try a butter knife and it didn't budge it. Not the same as a razor blade though. Ever heard of Fermcap? Works wonders to prevent the Erlenmeyer volcano. :)

I bet some sodium hydroxide based oven cleaner would loosen it up too.

Yes, I buy the 500ml bottles. Miracle stuff it is.

I always waited until it just started the boil before I added a few drops. Sometimes I got preocuppied :drunk:

Yes, I buy the 500ml bottles. Miracle stuff it is.

I always waited until it just started the boil before I added a few drops. Sometimes I got preocuppied :drunk:

I always add a few drops to each when i turn the heat on... that is one mess I've made before that i never hope to have again!

OK, SAME QUESTION WRT enamel-topped stoves.

Some of it is wort, some of it is just random food/sauce that got burned in place. For the record, it's a gas stove.

I'm pretty sure the razor-blade trick would be a bad idea. ;)

My suggestion earlier about the ammonia-soaked paper towels overnight and some moderate scrubbing worked on my enamel topped stove

k2-_42ad1d75-8494-4c39-8bfc-3644844b13de.v1.jpg

This and a sponge...seriously, works so well.

When I boiled my wort over one time, my wife (God Bless her) made a paste with baking soda and spread it over the burnt areas. She let it sit for awhile and then used a rag and more paste to scour it. It wasn't easy, but it worked without scratching. We have a black enamel cooktop.

Now I brew in the garage. Better for my health!

I have always have done this.

Ended up using some glass stove top cleaner we had and letting that sit on there for 15-30 mins at a time and scrubbing it off as well as using a razor blade. Repeated it several times. Also, left a wet rag on it overnight. It was tough-work, but it's 95% back to normal now.

I think my days of brewing indoors are numbered. SWMBO was not too pleased. At least I have an excuse to buy a propane burner.

Barkeepers Friend makes a glass cooktop cleaner. That's what I use. The user manual for our stove advised against razor blades, but with Barkeepers Friend I've never needed to try them.

I'll have to use more fermcap next time! I had added at the low end of what is recommended (i think 1 drop per gallon) and it still boiled over... twice. Added a few more drops at the end and still had 1/2 gallon come out the blow off tube! However, I did have 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy. Not nearly enough room!

I think my days of brewing indoors are numbered. SWMBO was not too pleased. At least I have an excuse to buy a propane burner.

Also, to add to the list ;)

a used keg
a grinder saw (to cut the used keg)
fittings & valves (for the used keg)
a better chair for the garage
a television for the garage ("well, I've got until the fall, but it's kinda important")

good times...

been there and done that (the wort boil over) on our kenmore glass top stove.

Sears sells the stove top cleaner that works really well. (I just ordered bar keepers friend and will try that the next time it needs to be cleaned)

And a razor blade. I used the razor blade first, and everything cleaned up really really easy.

PS, to those that are new to a glasstop stove, don't use the top to cut a pizza with a pizza cutter. We cracked ours that way but replacement is easy (and materials from sears were around $234)....

Ended up using some glass stove top cleaner we had and letting that sit on there for 15-30 mins at a time and scrubbing it off as well as using a razor blade. Repeated it several times. Also, left a wet rag on it overnight. It was tough-work, but it's 95% back to normal now.

Yeah, 95%. I could still probably scrape a little more off. It's slightly scratched but you have to look close.

My wife's not too happy. Wouldn't have been such an emergency, but we are moving soon and our house goes on the market in a couple weeks !!

Back