Help getting posts off my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenenet

Reaction score
Hello

I have a firestone pin lock keg and I'm trying to get those posts off it. I tried an adjustable wrench... no luck. I tried a channel wrench... no luck. I tried to get a 13/16" spark plug socket and cut groves in it for each of the pins with the dremel... no luck. I tried a hammer against the socket wrench... still no luck.

Any ideas what else I can try? Maybe some lubricant of some kind?

Thanks
Sam

Lay the top of the keg over a sink and run hot water over the posts for awhile.

But if the problem is you can't apply enough torque to the wrench without the keg spinning, lay the keg on the floor and place a 2x4 across the gaps in the handle...

Cheers!

Dang, I'm glad I don't have pin locks, lol
You would have to clean thoroughly, but if the posts are rusted, some WD-40 or specifically made nut buster could help.
If this is new and you are trying to clean it for the first time, maybe pump some PBW through the posts to try and loosen up the gunk?

I had a used keg with the top handle glued on. The glue was a foaming type like gorilla glue, it glued the posts on too. The posts would not come off, even with massive force. I eventually used a torch to melt the glue. It also charred the handle, and burned the O-rings. O-rings are easy to replace, now I can use the keg.
Try heat. I did not use penetrating oil for fear that it would affect the taste.

I got an el cheapo breaker bar from harbor freight and that did the trick. The pins on the gas side look like they paid the price though. Hopefully when I put them back on they straighten out. Of course the other choice is convert to ball lock.

I have pin lock kegs and the posts come off easily with the open end of a combo wrench, but they never had gorilla glue on them...just dried up beer. I think you'll have a much easier time with new ones of either variety.

I don't know what the heck was on mine but they were on so tight that as I mentioned the pins bent with the force from the breaker bar. I just took the posts off another one hardly had to do much and they came right off.

Back