Help from the hop growing experts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
My second year cascade have been growing like mad all season. There are now about 20 feet tall.
I am having an issue with the leaves browning and getting holes. I have looked all over the plant, under the leaves but I don't see any bugs. Does this look like a nutrient deficiency? I have my hops in the ground that is made up of triple mix. I have also piled a bag of compost on top this year. Does anyone recommend a particular fertiliser?
Thanks in advance for any input.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434415772.806224.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434415786.205089.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434415796.722155.jpg

Sorry, I'd love to help but I've never seen that type or extent of damage before.
There's a lot going on there.
Not only the whitened areas, but those leaves either grew very irregularly or something had at them in a big way.

No idea what's going on there...

It looks something like chlorine toxicity.

http://www.greatlakeshops.com/hops-blog/is-chlorine-hampering-your-hops

Is your tap water treated with lots of chlorine? What are you using to water your plants? Also, some fertilizers have chlorine as their counterpart {such as potassium chloride} which increases chlorine toxicity.

Could you collect and use rainwater to water your plants?

It looks something like chlorine toxicity.

http://www.greatlakeshops.com/hops-blog/is-chlorine-hampering-your-hops

Is your tap water treated with lots of chlorine? What are you using to water your plants? Also, some fertilizers have chlorine as their counterpart {such as potassium chloride} which increases chlorine toxicity.

Could you collect and use rainwater to water your plants?

Interesting stuff. It does look similar.
I have watered from the hose very little this year, as it has rained quite a bit and on a regular basis. I think I'll have to do a soil test. I had this issue last year, but not nearly as bad.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back