Help! First timer - worried about mold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan_c

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a first timer and I've noticed that my scoby is looking a little different to some and I'd like some reassurance that it's not moldy.. I'm worried about the dark spot and the white spots on my scoby. This is after my second batch and I've followed the recipe to the T, so I'm hoping it's just normal Kombucha colours and spots, but I just want to be sure! I really appreciate your help and guidance!

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

It is not mold. That is a baby Scoby forming off the original one you put in. It is a kind of shiny, and lighter colored "growth area." As it gets older it will get darker. The cells are doubling in size, in a way. I was very scared about mine too, but it came out okay.

I'm new at this and had a similar post as yours.... SCOBY was even kind of black! That batch turned out great. My latest batch has developed one of the ugliest SCOBY's you can imagine, tan, black, bubbly, but the batch is tasting great. Take my input with a grain of salt but I think your SCOBY looks very good, not moldy to me.

Latest posts

Back