Help! Film left by OxyClean won't go away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
After bottling my first batch of beer, I decided to thoroughly clean out my smaller carboy, bottling bucket, and all my equipment by soaking it all in a solution of hot water and OxyClean (actually the generic store-bought SunOxy). I used about half a scoop per five gallons, left it to soak overnight, dumped and rinsed.

Trouble is now all my stuff has a dry, chalky residue on it that doesn't seem to want to go away, even after rinsing over and over and over again. I even put some of the equipment through the heavy cycle in the dishwasher and STILL no dice.

I'm supposed to transfer my second batch into the second carboy already (it's been 8 days) but I'm afraid to use my equipment for fear I'll impart the chalky film to the beer. Is this film OK? Should I rinse more? Help!

From what I've heard, a mixture of water and vinegar soaking overnight will get rid of the haze.

I found that rinsing with lots of cold water is best. I think I read that on the oxiclean label. I have started using much less. It works just as good and is much easier to rinse.

I'll try distilled vinegar and cold water this evening. I just changed out the soak-water. I'll also try adding some Star-San to see if the acid helps dissolve the film. Thanks for the advice. I just worry about having my batch in primary so long, but I've heard you can go up to two weeks in primary...

I'll try distilled vinegar and cold water this evening. I just changed out the soak-water. I'll also try adding some Star-San to see if the acid helps dissolve the film. Thanks for the advice. I just worry about having my batch in primary so long, but I've heard you can go up to two weeks in primary...

You can easily go up to four or five weeks in primary. Don't worry about that- I usually leave mine for 3-4 weeks.

StarSan worked like a charm. I added an ounce to my bottling bucket and an ounce to my carboy. Immediately, bubbles started forming in my carboy on the residue and percolating up to the neck. After just fifteen minutes, I picked up the funnel from the bottling/storage bucket and it was already appreciably smoother. By 9 AM everything was more or less residue-free.

As an added bonus, all my stuff (except maybe the inside of the siphon hose and three-chamber airlocks since fluid doesn't pass through them spontaneously even though they're submerged) is now sanitized and ready to transfer tonight. But I actually think I'll give it another week in primary.

StarSan... is there anything it can't do?

Back