Help: Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I just installed a weldless bulkhead assemble on my new kettle and I wan't to get set up with a side pick up dip tube.
I just don't know how since the inside of the bulkhead, inside the kettle, is not threaded.
I'm sure there is a simple solution, I just don't know where to start.
Thanks in advance.

I can take it apart tonight to get you an exploded view and inventory of parts.

smugshot_9143588-XL.jpg

Yup! My 90 is my nut

Yeah, I was figuring I'd probably go that route.
Now, how much can I expect to pick up without a pump?
Will the gravity continue to draw fluid even once it drops past the level of the spigot?

You using a kettle or a keg? A kettle should get most of it out, but you will get a lot of hop gunk in the fermentor (debatable if it really matters, doesn't bother me). Or just adjust your recipe to get however many gallons you want into the fermentor. I leave .5-.75 gallons behind in my keggle, but most of that is hops

I have a 15gal kettle.
I'll be whirlpooling so hopefully that'll help with some of the excessive trub.

I just picked up these two guys, so hopefully I'm on the right track.
vE02IxK.jpg

I'm going to hack off a small section of copper from a pre chiller I built over the weekend.
That'll be win-win since I'll be evening up the ends on the chiller and I'll get the length I need for my dip tube.

Well, it LOOK'S like I envisioned but it's not draining anywhere near what I was expecting.
Unless someone has a a trick up their sleeve I guess a pump is in my future despite how much I tried to avoid it.

Well, it LOOK'S like I envisioned but it's not draining anywhere near what I was expecting.
Unless someone has a a trick up their sleeve I guess a pump is in my future despite how much I tried to avoid it.

What exactly is the thread piece you have there (not the elbow). It looks like a NPT x MFL/flare fitting. It also looks to be very restricted at that point. What you need is a compression fitting. And what size cooper tube do you have?

Did you test it with a hose attached? You need a hose attached and lower than your kettle to get the full siphon effect.

Using the dip tube to the center of my keggle i lose maybe 2oz of liquid. You'll lose more because your pot doesnt angle into the center but you should still get a lot.

You just have to have a hose attached or its going to stop as soon as it reaches the top of the ball valve hole.

That compression fitting is definitely reducing your flow by a lot! What is your purpose for reducing it that much? You should probably leave it 1/2" for all of your fittings.

Did you test it with a hose attached? You need a hose attached and lower than your kettle to get the full siphon effect.

Using the dip tube to the center of my keggle i lose maybe 2oz of liquid. You'll lose more because your pot doesnt angle into the center but you should still get a lot.

You just have to have a hose attached or its going to stop as soon as it reaches the top of the ball valve hole.
This!

Whats the little bit poking out? does that go inside the copper tube? Never seen that before - I have just seen the ones with the olives/ferrules on the outside of the tube. Can you get away with not including that bit?
I think it's just a reinforcement piece if I were to use the fitting in a plastic type tube. It won't be needed for this application and will not be in the finished product.

I didn't last night. I'll be running back by HD after work for a few more odds and ends and will pick some up while I'm there and report back.

That compression fitting is definitely reducing your flow by a lot! What is your purpose for reducing it that much? You should probably leave it 1/2" for all of your fittings.
I went that route because 3/8" is what I had on hand. If HD sold copper by the inch I could have gone with a larger diameter tube but I didn't want to buy a minimum 10' section just to get a few inches.

I didn't last night. I'll be running back by HD after work for a few more odds and ends and will pick some up while I'm there and report back.

Than i can ensure you 100% that was your problem, you need the extra suction or it craps out early.

Ok, all's good in the hood.
Got the dip tube hooked up like I want, copper secured and then tested it with a few gallons of water.
With the hose I was able to drain all but about 21oz from my 15gal kettle.
I feel this is fair being that it has such a wide base.
If tipped, I can get all but 6-7oz.
All in all, I'm pretty happy.
Thanks for y'all's help!

7lht1wK.jpg

Back