Help Converting Extract to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AttenuatingCircumstances

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've been brewing all grain for a while now but I have this delicious pumpkin ale that I made back when I was doing extract plus steeping grains and I'm afraid to screw it up when converting to AG! The grain bill is 6lbs DME, 0.5 lbs C40, and 0.5 lbs Carapils. If I just convert the 6lbs DME to 10lbs of 2-row (which I've heard is pretty much the equivalent assuming good efficiency) will that be enough adjustment? Since the original recipe was just steeping the grains I know there will be more fermentable sugars from those grains once I actually mash them with the 2-row. Will the taste still be the same as when I just steeped the grains or should I add more (or even less) of the C40 for the same flavor? The flavor of the C40 is my biggest concern and just to make sure that it is right.

There are a few things to consider. First, is the DME light/amber/dark? Second, what temp were you steeping at? Third, what efficiency do you hit with your AG setup?

Yes, you will get more fermentable sugars out of the grains, so you could always dial them down a bit. With that said, the recipe should be this: 9.25 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt, 10.2 oz Crystal 40, 10 oz Carapils.

I'd do the 10 lb conversion and see what happens. First brew, most you can learn from.

Back