Help! Carboy plug fell in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downey26

Pig Pen Brewery
Reaction score
After putting my yeast I put my carboy plug in but pushed to hard and it fell down the neck of my plastic carboy. When I tried to get it out it slid into my beer. The plug was sanitized. Is it going to ruin my beer or give it a bad flavor? It's a citra pale ale. I imagine my carboy needs to be thrown away after this beer, correct?

Naw... If I were in your shoes I would just cap it with say a sanitized square of aluminum foil (like we use to cap a flask when making a starter). Should give you enough time to get downtown to purchase another stopper. If you already have another stopper just proceed as if it never happened. You can always fish out the mistake after fermentation is finished and you have transferred it to... secondary or the bottling bucket. You will make good beer despite this little whoops ( ;

This just Happened to me about 2 weeks ago. Not only did the plug fall in, but a bit of sanitizer snuck its way up the blowoff tube and into the beer during cold crashing! I, too, was very worried, but after tasting the beer recently, it ended up being my best one yet!!

Weird. Bet that's never happened to anyone before (cough). There's a neat trick to get it out with a plastic grocery bag. Google.

lol good to know it wasn't just me. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you know how it turns out. Good thing I made this beer 30 times before so it'll be a good experiment.

Latest posts

Back