help.. can i bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars13

Reaction score
It has been 17 days since I pitched yeast. Fermentation didn't start til 4 th day. Original gravity was .54. I just did my second reading before starting to bottle and I have a reading of .22. That seems a little high. The airlock bubbled about once per minute after I moved carboy. I did not see any activity in the beer. No foam left and beer looks smooth on top. Can I bottle or is this too high and I should leave it a fee more days?

It's a holiday ale. Set at 70 degrees.

Check the gravity again tomorrow. What you are looking for is no change in readings from one day to the next. Then it will at least be safe to bottle.

The only way to know for sure is by gravity readings. I also would like to encourage you to leave it for a full month before bottling, it will make a much cleaner tasting beer. But as long as your gravity doesnt change for a few consecutive days, your clear to bottle.

How are you measuring SG? If you are using a refractometer with ATC you really don't need to, I just leave it on the window for 30-60 seconds to adjust. But, if you are using a refractomer, you'll need to adjust the measurements for alcohol.

I'm using a hydrometer. I'm a newb so not sure if that's what you are asking. I never had a violent fermentation that most speak of.

I'm using a hydrometer. I'm a newb so not sure if that's what you are asking. I never had a violent fermentation that most speak of.

don't worry, the alcohol adjustment is only for a different device. For hydrometers, you need to be near your calibration point (usually 60F or 68F). There are adjustment tables around, but it's a relatively slight correction so long as you're within a few degrees of where you should be.

Latest posts

Back