Help! Blackberry Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McNamerica

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at brewing with my own choice of extract ingredients, the first two beers came from kits. I wanted to make essentially a Blackberry Hefeweizen.

.5 lbs flaked wheat and .5 lbs flaked oat ( for steeping)
3 lbs DME 55% wheat 45% barley
3.3 lbs LME Briess Bavarian Wheat
1 oz hallertau hops
5.5 gallons distilled water which topped off to make 5 gallons of wort when dumped into primary.

Turned out to be a deep golden coppery amber color instead of the golden straw I saw in my head.

Primary fermentation 7 days
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

Froze, heated at 165, and mashed up 3.5 lbs of blackberries which I dumped into secondary (carboy). Racked wheat beeron top of blackberries.

AND NOW MY QUESTION: the entire batch has been settling in my basement for 3 days now. 1.5 inches of blackberry have made a layer on top of beer. 1 inch of white sediment is on the bottom which I assume is wheat proteins and yeast. Do I shake my carboy around every day or so to redistribute all ingredients?

Just got into home brewing I have no idea if this is normal or not.

It sounds like the blackberries are fermenting. No, don't shake your beer around. It will oxidize it. The fermentation itself will move things around just fine in there.

Listen to Frau Yooper. I made a Blackberry Wheat a bit ago. Turned out great. I left mine on the berries for a week. Cheers.

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Back