Help/advice on possible new project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OsbornBrewing

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator. This is a DIY project i would like to undertake.
I'm drawing inspiration mostly from:
Forbein11's Side-by-Side Kegerator/Fermentation Chamber

This will be my first refrigerator project, and since many of you are on 3rd or more editions I am hoping for some advice.

What I would like to do with this unit:
1) Convert the freezer side to a kegerator for 2-4 kegs
2) Replace the stock water/ice dispensor with the taps
3) Convert the refrigerator side to a fermentation/lagering cabinet

The reason this unit is being replaced is because there is a short in thermostat chipboard (not the technical term) and the frige cycles on for extended periods of time. Repairing the circuit board will cost them as much as a new unit, so they went with the new unit. I believe that a temp contol, ie Love TSS2-2100, will bypass the stock temperature controls, and repairing/replacing the stock unit will be unnecessary, as it will be deactivated. Is this correct?

Will I need 2 controls and 2 heaters if I keep this unit in my garage?

Any reccomendations to a newb trying to develop some project plans for this type of project? I am literally an empty slate right now. I have always brewed ales, or aled lagers as I have never had a chance to cold ferement. I also have bottled for 12 years, as I have never had a chance to convert to kegs and this will be offer me that opportunity. What am I not thinking of right now that I should?

What would you do different from your build if you had the chance to go back and start from scratch?

Thanks guys!
Brent

Back