Help a fellow save his kegged Arrogant and Hefe ... Have conflicting advice .. poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which LHBS store to listen to?

• Neither, pitch them and count losses (I hope to see a 0 on this :) )

Results are only viewable after voting.

jph2275

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

Mods: This is a partial continuation of my "dissapointed in my arrogant bastard clone" thread and can be merged if necessary.

I apologize in advance if this isn't the most descriptive thread, I am holding an upset 16 week old and typing on my iPad.

About two weeks ago last Saturday I brewed a Bavarian Hefe and an Arrogant Bastard Clone from AHBS. I always as a rule of thumb I always primary for three weeks, then keg or bottle. Always had great results.

As a result of inexperience and bullheadedness (if that is a word) I decided to keg both last Saturday after only 2 weeks in primary for both (both brewed same day).

I tasted both Monday. The hefe is ok, very watery and under attenuated tasting. The arrogant bastard is, well, sweet as a chalky yoohoo and tastes like crap. Both were still "bubbling" some in their airlocks when I transferred, and I frankly think I didn't give either of them enough time to ferment or clean up after themselves.

Solutions ...

Both are in kegs. I am trying to decide what to do to allow them to "continue fermenting" or conditioning. I called two LHBS stores and they gave me conflicting advice ...

LHBS #1 - Let the kegs sit at room temperature at 30 psi to condition bleeding off excess pressure for a few more weeks and then see if they are ready.

LHBS #2 - Siphon both out of the kegs, put in a glass fermenter at room temp (65-75 degrees) and re-pitch yeast on both. See if both start to ferment again. Then transfer later when I believe they are finished.

What are the communities thoughts on these suggestions? These ingredients weren't cheap and costed me a days worth of time/work. I would really like to save them if possible.

I also welcome other ideas :)

Ok, the baby is making me practically deaf so I will wrap it up. I will post more details if need be!

Respectfully,

Patrick

Can't pick one because it depends..... First I would just leave them for a week or so and see if that makes a difference.
Then I would try #1 and if that didn't work I would try #2

#2 is much more risky with so much transferring. You risk both oxidation and infection.

Did you take an SG prior to kegging? That would tell you if you have room to ferment more... I would still go with #1 first, #2 you would more then likely loose all your head retention and much of your aromatic qualities because the carbonation would strip them off during transfer. Hope this helps

Did you take an SG prior to kegging? That would tell you if you have room to ferment more... I would still go with #1 first, #2 you would more then likely loose all your head retention and much of your aromatic qualities because the carbonation would strip them off during transfer. Hope this helps

Thanks for both replies guys. Unfortunately no, I did not on either. I understand this makes it harder to give advice.

However, the arrogant was just so much sweeter than any beef I've ever done, and the hefe is just watery and very wheaty/murky/cloudy

The hefe

image.jpg

Two week update ...

So I went with #1 first as recommended. They have been sitting in my bathroom for two weeks (72-74 degrees).

A few hours ago I stuck the hefe back in the fridge. Unable to wait til this evening I tasted the still pretty warm hefe.

Wow! 2 weeks ago it was very watery tasting. Today it was full bodied and had a somewhat sweet taste. I imagine it is ok and will be wonderful when cold.

But ...

The arrogant bastard, well .... Still tasted like a turd. Not really like a turd I guess, it was *somewhat* less sweet but that could be my imagination. I only tasted the first overfly foamy pull, so that may be an unfair sampling.

Any suggestions from the brew pros? Should I just ride out a few more weeks in the keg or start to think about option #2?

Pat

Latest posts

Back