Hefe has a band aid taste overnight. About to pull my hair out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

As some of you may have seen I have been struggling with my hefe and arrogant bastard I kegged too early. I pulled both out of kegerator and set them to condition more at room temp for 2 more weeks making them 4 weeks old.

Yesterday I threw the hefe back in the kegerator at 12 p.s.i and sampled it throughout the day as it cooled. It tasted good (sweet, clove like, some banana flavor) but somewhat undercarbed. Last night I decided to hit it with 30 psi for two days to get it fully carbed up again before bed.

Sooo

Today after church and lunch I went and took a pull at 30 psi off the keg because I'm an impatient busy body. And well, I'm not sure what happened.

The beer now has a band aid/rubbery/garden hose aroma and flavor :confused: wth?!!?!?!! Gggaaahhhhhhhhhhh

I'm starting to get really frustrated with these beers. Before I dump the hefe I thought id ask ...

Any idea why the flavor of the hefe would change with force carbing one night??? What did I do now to screw this up? My first 5 batches were solid, now I've flubbed two in a row.

Thanks for any ideas/help/input

Pat

Junk in your hose? 30psi would pull lots of sediment off the bottom of the keg that normal pressure wouldn't.

The first few cups I pulled yesterday were significantly more cloudy/foggy/yeasty. It has really cleared up today.

This beverage line has gone through 3 kegs without any cleaning ....

Maybe also a carbonic acid "bite" from force carbing? Maybe I'm confusing that for the band aid taste, idk. It's drinkable, just not enjoyable like yesterday (even when yeasty from first few pulls).

Would anyone recommend lowering back to serving pressure and seeing if the flavor aroma and balance from yesterday return, so to speak?

jph2275 said:
Would anyone recommend lowering back to serving pressure and seeing if the flavor aroma and balance from yesterday return, so to speak?

I think its a good plan. A major part of taste is smell. Because your beer is overcarbed, there is more CO2 coming out of the beer and probably making is smell stronger. Maybe the flavor is very slight and you only noticed it at high pressure?

Just to wrap up this thread ...

Once the beer sat at 12 psi another day or two the nice qualities of the hefe in both taste and aroma came back. I'll just be slow and easy on the carbing from now on.

All is well, no worries :)

Now if I could just get that arrogant bastard fixed I would stop grumbling about it :D

Latest posts

Back