hello, new member here,Soulshine2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Just getting into yet another interesting hobby that I can enjoy . I already grow my own tobacco (2 seasons so far) roll my own cigars and process my own pipe tobacco and chew. Gathering up as many hobbies as possible so when I retire in about 6 years I'll always have something to do when I can't be outdoors.
So, I'm sure they're probably not the best way to get started brewing but I have 3 beer kits that I picked up cheap(one kit is a 2 beer kit, other 2 of them are Mr Beer complete kits) and I would like to learn more so I can actually do some brewing someday without a kit or just putting together previously prepared cans of stuff. How easy is it to grow hops?
Just a little beer background of my taste preferences- I don't like IPA's . I like Pilsners, Ales ,Lagers ,Stouts, Porters,Bock ,Kolsch (German)style and Wheat beers generally. My wifes favorite is Two Brothers Ebelsweis (banana and clove flavors) so I would like to make that as well.
Anything I could be able to make using locally found(feed supply,health food store,grocery) ingredients.
Thanks and Prost !:mug:

Welcome!
Hops are not hard to grow, but mine do not produce commercial quality results. I use them anyway.
MrBeer or other simple kits are a good way to start, and learn the process. After that I read John Palmer's How To Brew online. I liked it, so I bought a copy. It all seemed very complex at first, but study and practice made it simpler. Everyone wants to create their own recipe. I found that it was best to stick to proven recipes and kits at first, making substitutions where practical. You can make great beer, even with simple equipment. Have fun.

Welcome from Long Island. I think most of us has begun with a kit, nothing wrong with that. There's good information about growing hops an a thread or two here on the forum, and much more on the net. Most growers do t get much of a yield until after the first year. Have fun, and feel free to ask questions.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info here and you will learn. + 1 on John Palmer's book. Make a few kits with extract and steeping some grains and adding your own hops instead of the complete kits, and your beers will come out even better as you gain more experience. Going all grain is really not that hard and then you have complete control over your wort. Just have fun as you go though. If you get the bug and get hooked you will be making a brew rig for sure! That's the slippery slope and the rabbit hole we all fall in and where the money adds up! Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are good people here.

John

I've been reading the "book" online today , so far except for a break to take a long phone call ,I've made it to chapter 8 ...Its definitely got my attention. Most of it seems very easy reading and straightforward. Kind of reminds me of biology class or even a few old Mr Wizard episodes...If you're younger than 40 I doubt you would even know who I'm referring to, maybe Bill Nye the science guy for you youngins.

Just getting into yet another interesting hobby that I can enjoy . I already grow my own tobacco (2 seasons so far) roll my own cigars and process my own pipe tobacco and chew. Gathering up as many hobbies as possible so when I retire in about 6 years I'll always have something to do when I can't be outdoors.
So, I'm sure they're probably not the best way to get started brewing but I have 3 beer kits that I picked up cheap(one kit is a 2 beer kit, other 2 of them are Mr Beer complete kits) and I would like to learn more so I can actually do some brewing someday without a kit or just putting together previously prepared cans of stuff. How easy is it to grow hops?
Just a little beer background of my taste preferences- I don't like IPA's . I like Pilsners, Ales ,Lagers ,Stouts, Porters,Bock ,Kolsch (German)style and Wheat beers generally. My wifes favorite is Two Brothers Ebelsweis (banana and clove flavors) so I would like to make that as well.
Anything I could be able to make using locally found(feed supply,health food store,grocery) ingredients.
Thanks and Prost !:mug:

IPA's are the most expensive beers to brew...so your on the right side of things cost wise. Grains are only a 1.90 or less per pound so dont try to nickel and dime it too far..it just isn't worth it. I Buy 50 lbs at a time for 90 cents per lb. Buy your hops on sale..nothing wrong with 2 season old hops.

Welcome Aboard.

Back