Hello from Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelgirl

Reaction score
Hello, I am just about to start making my own beer. I have made some wine, quite a bit from kits, but a few bad batches from scratch. Now that I have a reasonable set up to work I think I may do better.
But I am also wanting to get a start on beer, I have had a lot of requests for beer from my wine drinker friends and family.
So I am looking for insight on making some beer and learning the ins and outs of the 'art'.

Welcome!

There are many great resources, and I advise you to check them all out:

How to Brew (first edition is free online, but the 3rd edition is a nice reference to have on hand)
Joy of Homebrewing
Homebrewing for Dummies (it's actually very good)

This site is probably the best place to get up to date information and a variety of opinions on all sorts of homebrewing and related activities.

www.basicbrewing.com and www.thebrewingnetwork.com both have very good podcasts and video podcasts to check out.

First and foremost, though, is to check out the stickies at the top of the "Beginners" forum. There is a wealth of information at the ready. Remember there are a variety of ways to do most things in homebrewing, but a few things will help get you making great beer quicker:

1. Sanitize! Proper cleaning, followed by a proper sanitizing is a must! (I personally recommend StarSan for it's ease of use and re-usability if mixed with distilled water)

2. Fermentation temps! I try to hit the lower end o the yeast's optimum range. You can get the information on the yeast manufacturer's website. Try to keep it constant until at least the fermentation has slowed down and the krausen (foam) has dropped. (few days to a week or so)

3. Pitch the proper amount of yeast. 1-2 packets of dry depending on the starting gravity. Make up a starter for liquid, and make enough depending on the OG as well.

4. RDWHAHB!

Another welcome from Milwaukee! You've found a great resource. Happy brewing!

Welcome, and stay away from Mr. Beer if you're looking for quality. I started out with Mr. Beer. First batch "sucks", poured it out. Second batch is drinkable, with no bragging rights though. You have the equipment except maybe the bottles and bottle capper or kegs. Sounds like you may be more into wine than beer. In that case just bottle it, but make your friends chip in, otherwise the expense is all on you. I think brewing beer is funner.
Shalom!

If you want to learn the "art" of brewing pick up Gordon Strong's newish book "Brewing Better Beer"

Back