hello from uninhabitable Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccartney

Reaction score
A beer lover in Utah, and self explanatory why the need to start home brewing.

Ive searched the site for a year or two when i needed an answer but just recently signed up for the account. there were some questions that i couldnt find any direct answer for so why not ask the experts.

I also think that brewing any kind of alcohol will be a useful skill to have for trade during the zombie apocalypse. my favorite thread on this site is the GaP (grocery and produce) which is an experiment to brew a beer from grocery items, apparently in the event that actual brewing supplies cannot be purchased. Look it up!

As Ben Franklin says: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Also a music lover, obviously since my avatar name is named after my hero.

Thanks for all the help and in advance because im a perfectionist about my hobbies.

hello mccartney and welcome to the hobby!

My wife and I recently went to southern Utah (Zion Ntl Park) on vacation.. what a beautiful area. Nice weather, nice scenery, everyone's (mainly) friendly except the other tourists.

Welcome! Sorry about your state. I visited this summer as I was driving through and I do not think I am in any hurry to go back. With the exception of Epic Brewing. That place was awesome, and I was sad that I was not homeward bound, or else I would have filled the car with beer, not camping gear & luggage!

Glad to hear you are interested in the GaP thread! I remember when that thread was still wee and new! Time flies.

I moved to Utah 2 years ago and was surprised. There is some great beer here, you just have to find it. Try Squatters, Epic, Wasatch, and Uintah to name a few. The Utah beer culture is gaining ground.

yes i agree, i have never had any Epic beers, but i love wasatch and squatters. squatters IPA is one of my favorites. the downside is that normal lagers are only 3.2% and the micro brews are at most 4%. i like them around 6% personally.

another downside to Utah is some of the the neighbors seem to have a self righteous attitude if they know you use alcohol, because of the religious culture. still generally good people though.

I've heard amazing things about Epic's Brainless (and on Cherries, and on Peaches) but haven't had time time to track down a bottle (except for my poorly planned stop thru town on the trip).

Yeah, it was the culture/attitude that scared me out of there as soon as I could get back on the road. I need a slightly more, shall we say, "granola" sort of town. :p

Anywho welcome aboard! If you getta chance to try some Epic, lemme know how you like it!

Having lived in UT for four years and traveling there for 13 years I can say there is a great beer scene there. Go to Squatters and Red Rock downtown and Wasatch in Park City and look at the awards: they each have plenty of GABF and WBC bling on those walls.

The limited ABV is for what can be served on tap. In the bottle there's no issue. The beer laws there are not unique to Utah btw.

Squatters, Red Rock and Epic have amazing IIPAs that could be mistaken for a west coast IIPA. Hops Rising and Elephino are in my fridge right now.

Give the place a chance. Local politics will bug you as much as you care to let them. The same is true everywhere...

Also, check out The Beer Nut on State street - great LHBS.

Also, The Bayou and The BeerHive have great selections of beer. There are other places too but I hit those up regularly when I'm in town.

i actually live in southern utah area and dont often have a chance to go up to Salt Lake. i wouldnt mind living up there except for the issues that come with a bigger city. and i usually try to avoid park city because everything there is so much more expensive. my small town is perfect for raising kids in a better environment.

i would love to visit some of those places but when we go there we are always short on time, and i dont know the city well or where any of those places are.

none of my convenience stores, grocery stores, or bars sell anything above 4%. if i want to get the squatters hops rising or their ipa i have to go to the liquor store. they also have a great barley wine, unintas xvii anniversary. just one of them is a slap in the face though, thick and 10%

i also lived in Idaho falls for several years where budweiser has some barley fields. they also have several microbreweries there with awesome beer. plus their convenience store standard is 5%. whenever i go there i like to get a few mini kegs.

Good to see a fellow Utah'n here. Its a good place to live U just have to ignore half of the people. I'm in SL, but we have place in Kanab. In Southern Utah U half to ignore 75% of the people.:) LOL.

Cheers!

i shouldnt knock utah really, they have some better microbrews than all neighboring states including nevada.

wasatch beers has a porter called polygamy porter, its slogan "cant have just one"

there is also a pilsner called provo girl that i heard used to be called molly mormon, of course until it offended the wrong person. wasatch beers is not without a sense of local customs humor

Welcome from SLC. There is a great brewing scene here in the "Big City". The UofU has a great club. The supplies are abondant and the breweries are fantastic with extensive selection. Check it out if you ever have time to spend up this way.

wasatch beers has a porter called polygamy porter, its slogan "cant have just one"

there is also a pilsner called provo girl that i heard used to be called molly mormon, of course until it offended the wrong person. wasatch beers is not without a sense of local customs humor
Awesome beer names.

I used to live in Utah.... I'm glad I don't anymore.

its not such a bad place to live, its good to raise kids, and despite the occasional religious snobbery, people are very friendly and giving... but i do live in a smaller town and the attitudes that come with it are not as selfish and suspicious as a bigger city.

because of the alcohol restrictions of the area, there are quite a few home brewers that make the hobby more social and richer.

and, go broncos

Back