Hello from sunny England!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine7

Reaction score
Okay it's not that sunny, it's cold, dark and wet. Hence the yearly brewing season has started!

Been brewing on and off for a few years, still consider myself a newbie. Hoping to up my quality this winter and produce some good brews. Would love to start digging into designing my own brews instead of following recipes/guesswork.

So, hi everyone!

G'day Sunshine7,

welcome from the other hemisphere! You can probably have some of our sun if you like and I'll have some rain in return. Top temp this month so far in my home town is 43.5C which isn't bad for the end of spring. There's heaps of info and encouragement here. Enjoy yourself!

Hello, from Pittsburgh, PA.
An Expat here as the screen name suggests lol

Greetings from a fellow British brewer! I'm based in London (home) / Oxford (study). Whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

G'day Sunshine7,

welcome from the other hemisphere! You can probably have some of our sun if you like and I'll have some rain in return. Top temp this month so far in my home town is 43.5C which isn't bad for the end of spring. There's heaps of info and encouragement here. Enjoy yourself!

I would literally melt in that. I'm uncomfortable in anything above 18C... Take as much rain as you want, my garden is starting to look like a good boating lake.

Greetings from a fellow British brewer! I'm based in London (home) / Oxford (study). Whereabouts are you?

I'm oop North in Sheffield mate. Handily just down the road from the only brew shop. =D

Bottled my first brew of the season today. A spiced pumpkin ale. Initial taste tests suggest goodness. I've always had trouble with a lingering 'homebrew taste' aftertaste and switching my sterilisation method from shop bought sterilisation powder to bleach/white vinegar seems to have solved it. We'll see what the final product tastes like. Only six short weeks to wait...

Welcome, though I was born in Calfornia, my dads ancestry is from Bromley in Kent about 200 years ago. I'd love to come for a visit sometime though I don't know that it will ever happen. Anyway, here's to beers!!!!

Welcome, though I was born in Calfornia, my dads ancestry is from Bromley in Kent about 200 years ago. I'd love to come for a visit sometime though I don't know that it will ever happen. Anyway, here's to beers!!!!

Too many American's say that - it's such a shame. I only turned 30 a year or two ago but I've probably spent close to a year in the US all told over half a dozen different trips. Flights to London these days can easily be had for $600. No excuse not to any more. I know you guys only get a couple of weeks leave a year but you've got to make the time to do these things or you run out of time.

Too many American's say that - it's such a shame. I only turned 30 a year or two ago but I've probably spent close to a year in the US all told over half a dozen different trips. Flights to London these days can easily be had for $600. No excuse not to any more. I know you guys only get a couple of weeks leave a year but you've got to make the time to do these things or you run out of time.

I'd love to go back to London and back to Bristol where I grew up (haven't been back in 20 years), but $600 and limited leave really does make it impossible for some of us. Lucky if I'm able to take a weekend at the beach.

Hello my British friend. I visited London in 1998 on New Years I spent the eve in P. circus. I love the pubs over there they are so cozy and comfortable and a totally different experience that what we have in the States. My 2 favorite overseas brews are kronenburg 1888 (I think France). And #1 is Caferys. You cannot get it here!!!! Anyway I have been brewing for about 7-8 years and experimenting is fun. The best is foraging for local materials and using them in your beer, wine, and cider. cheers from Tennessee

Flights to London these days can easily be had for $600.

There's a big difference between fares from New York and from Hawaii!

And Heathrow is one of the most money-grubbing airports I know - they even charge departure tax on the seat you're sitting in rather than the one you paid for, so if you're lucky enough to get upgraded you suddenly have to pay an extra $200 to the airport.

There's a big difference between fares from New York and from Hawaii!

And Heathrow is one of the most money-grubbing airports I know - they even charge departure tax on the seat you're sitting in rather than the one you paid for, so if you're lucky enough to get upgraded you suddenly have to pay an extra $200 to the airport.

Very true - I lived on the West Coast US until recently. A trip to Hawaii would have been lovely but it's a long way and not cheap!

Incidentally the charges you mention are levied by the UK government rather than Heathrow specifically - they go straight to the treasury. Unfortunately you'll find the same applies no matter which airport you fly into.

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

I would literally melt in that. I'm uncomfortable in anything above 18C... Take as much rain as you want, my garden is starting to look like a good boating lake.

We got some on Wednesday, thanks! Unfortunately it all came at once with crazy wind. The rain was welcome but I prefer my branches still attached to trees.

Back