Hello from Sheffield in the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire_thb

Reaction score
Hi All!

Hope everyone is well, I have joined the forum today and I am new to brewing, my partner started me off and we are now looking to set up our own home brew business in the UK so I thought I should probably learn a lot more about brewing and equipment if I'm going to make this business a success and what a better place to learn that with like minded people and their knowledge and experience.

I have done a couple of kits myself. My partner brews from scratch mostly as he is much more experienced than I am. we are also avid followers of beer festivals all over the UK and love trying out new beers from all over the world!

feel free to say Hi :)

Claire

Hi All!

Hope everyone is well, I have joined the forum today and I am new to brewing, my partner started me off and we are now looking to set up our own home brew business in the UK so I thought I should probably learn a lot more about brewing and equipment if I'm going to make this business a success and what a better place to learn that with like minded people and their knowledge and experience.

I have done a couple of kits myself. My partner brews from scratch mostly as he is much more experienced than I am. we are also avid followers of beer festivals all over the UK and love trying out new beers from all over the world!

feel free to say Hi :)

Claire

HI :)

Boy Sheffield brings back some memories, from when I Lived in Leeds. a Few nights out down there. :)
The UK definitely needs more Homebrew stores, and even Craft Breweries.

for different beers, keep a look out for Yeastie Boys from NZ. Gunnamatta is a tasty drop. (Not sure if its mae its way that far north yet)

The UK definitely needs more Homebrew stores, and even Craft Breweries.

Homebrew stores, perhaps, but there's stacks of craft breweries here in the UK.Dunno when you last lived in Leeds but there's been an explosion of micro breweries in the uk in recent years. I live in London and each of the 32 boroughs seems to have at least one

Hi Caire :mug:

Homebrew stores, perhaps, but there's stacks of craft breweries here in the UK.Dunno when you last lived in Leeds but there's been an explosion of micro breweries in the uk in recent years. I live in London and each of the 32 boroughs seems to have at least one

Hi Caire :mug:

Thats good to hear.
I'll admit it has been a few years since I've was there.

Would I be right in suggesting, that the majority of new breweries popping up are more in the south than the North?

From what I've been told the explosion is only really just starting to take off, and the UK are still slightly behind the 8-ball (I'm only going on what I've been told, so I could be wrong)

Thats good to hear.
I'll admit it has been a few years since I've was there.

Would I be right in suggesting, that the majority of new breweries popping up are more in the south than the North?

From what I've been told the explosion is only really just starting to take off, and the UK are still slightly behind the 8-ball (I'm only going on what I've been told, so I could be wrong)

I dont often leave London so only really see what's going on there with my own eyes but from HBT UK sister forum (I'm a mod there) I stongly get the impression it's happening all over the UK.
Depends what you mean by "only just", I'd say it's been a good 5 years or more since all these micro breweries started popping up everywhere. There's a really good scene now, most pubs (in London at least) have at least once hand pump as Real Ale/Craft Ale is now so widely known about now and drunk.

@claire Sorry for hijacking you thread. Setting up a business in the UK and the US will obviously be entirely different. Have a look at this thread on HBT's UK sister forum HBF. The thread is really about the feasabilty of setting up a micro brewery but there might be some stuff in there to help you set up your home brewing business
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61078

I also lived two years from 2013 to 2015 in Newcastle, I can tell you that it seems that there is more micro brewery than inhabitants ;))

The bad thing is Iam now living in the south of Spain where it is basically just starting. :(

Hi all.

Thanks for the lovely welcome. There is so many places popping up all over the uk now. We are blessed in the north with so many we have been doing tours for a few years now and each time we think we are half way through another three pop up so yes we have loads over here and we have lots in the north. Particularly around Yorkshire! I think we have good liquor.

@myqul thanks for the heads up but it's bro really what we are looking at doing, I'm not really after business advice, I'm pretty ok with all that. We will be supplying goods to end users who want to brew at home. So really my learning is more about expanding my brewing knowledge so we can offer others usp's to differentiate us from every other home brew supplier reseller in the uk :)

Welcome Claire, it's been way too long since I've been home, I'm a Yorkshireman... and proud of it! Sheffield born and bred
Living just outside Atlanta and have been for last 15 years

Hi all.

Thanks for the lovely welcome. There is so many places popping up all over the uk now. We are blessed in the north with so many we have been doing tours for a few years now and each time we think we are half way through another three pop up so yes we have loads over here and we have lots in the north. Particularly around Yorkshire! I think we have good liquor.

@myqul thanks for the heads up but it's bro really what we are looking at doing, I'm not really after business advice, I'm pretty ok with all that. We will be supplying goods to end users who want to brew at home. So really my learning is more about expanding my brewing knowledge so we can offer others usp's to differentiate us from every other home brew supplier reseller in the uk :)

Ah, I see. There's quite a few players in the UK HB market at the moment, but the best of luck. Feel free to pop over and see us at HBF anytime

Latest posts

Back