Hello from SE Vermont!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

Reaction score
i just registered here, good to meet ya'll.

i'm no newbie, i've made about 20 batches of homebrew so far. all kinds and types, and all different brewing methods. i'm usually partial mash now, and usually darker bers.

just finishing drinking my maple ale from last august. next weekend i'll start the chocolate stout. but the pumkin ale was my favorite, 10 pounds of fresh pumpkin, what a mess!

i have a question for anybody in my area (south east vermont)- where's a good homebrew shop? so far i have found the one in rutland that's a closet in a package store, and the one in the attic of the health food store in west lebanon. both were very dissapointing! even the dedicated shop in northampton is way more expensive than what i am used to.

i moved here last summer from athens ohio where i was going to grad school, so i am still trying to find the cool little places. any homebrew competitions around? i missed the one at the brew fest in northampton last summer, even though i did manage to attend and try some great weird beers, maybe next year i'll be prepared.

how do you guys feel about shops that just sell supplies on the side, with nobody working there who knows about home brewing?

barrett

Greetings and welcome aboard! Not sure if we have any folks from the Vermont area here, but perhaps they'll speak up if they are. :)

Hi Gremlin!

Welcome to the Green Mountain state.

I have been living here with my wife and kids for the past 6 years. Moved up here from New York although I'm basically from connecticut. Regarding local homebrew suppliers I can feel your pain. I live in the Woodstock area of Vermont and I have been to the health food shop in West Leb you mentioned in your post. You are right - there is not much there and no staff that can really anwer your questions. I only buy carboys from them. For everything else I use mail order - I've used Beer - Wine out of Mass. and they are great. Order via the web on one day and get your delivery the next day via UPS.
I've also used Williams in CA and Northern Brewer in MN with equally good results although I have to wait longer to get the delivery. As far as prices go - since I have never been to a "real" local HB store I can't compare prices. The websites I listed however seem reasonable to me!

Happy brewing!

P.S. And if you do ever find a good brew store in the Vermont area please post it! I would be very interested!

Are you a buckeye? I also happen to have been born in Ohio!

Gremlin-

Welcome. I posted this in another section on Homewbrew supplies. This looks like this might be a better place for you to see it.

Here is your closest option as far a a homebrew supply:

RCA Distributors
10 North Street
North Walpole, NH 03609
(603) 445-2018

This guy will get you anything you need, It is a one man operation.

You could also consider becoming buddies with the fellah's over at the Seven Barrel Brewery in West Leb. Once they get to know you, they may be cool with selling you malt and hops at a wholesale rate (if you buy it in bulk).
It would also help if you gave them plenty of samples of your beer.

Mt. Washington Homebrew supply in Littleton, NH could also prove to be a good resource for you.

http://www.brewbyyou.com/

I have friends that make a trip up there from the Brattleboro area a few times a year to stock up on supplies.

The place in Nothampton is great, very knowledgable and they have tons of stuff. I agree that it is a bit pricey.

I hope this information helps.

i'm not a buckeye, i grew up around western mass. i just spent 3 years in grad school at ou in athens. what part are you from?

what's the address for beer-wine? got a link?

do yourself a favor and skip 'green mountain boys' in rutland! they have 2 or 3 year old yeast and no grain mill, it's just a corner of a package store.

if i ever come across any other regional stores, i'll try to remember to metion it on here. there is one state liquor agency store in benington on rt 7 that has some supplies, now that i think of it. nothing to drive that far to, but if you're in the area...

barrett

I was born in Lakewood which is outside of Cleveland. To be honest though I only lived there for the first 5 years of my life and haven't had an opportunity to return and visit. I must say however that all the Ohio natives I've met living here in the North East have been good people!

I read that glibbiddy beat me to the Beer-wine info. I hope they work out for you if you try them.

happy brewing!

ah yes, beer-wine is the shop i go to sometimes when i am down there visiting family, getting some culture, etc. good place but a bit pricey. at least now i can sace a long trip. duh, i bet their website is the fridge magnet i have!

barrett

Back