Hello from Philippines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfanz

Reaction score
Hi. I've just signed up.

First of all. This looks like a great forum and I'm really looking forward to participating.

I used to live in the SF Bay Area and brewed many batches with the help of George and Homer at the Oak Barrel. Now I'm working in the Philippines at a institute that works on rice. There are literally thousands of varieties of rice and I have access to lots of them, so I was thinking it would be interesting to learn a bit about local rice beers/wines and combine that with a bit of state of the art homebrew magic and see if I can produce something halfway decent.

Anyhow this was just to say hello. I'll start a proper thread in the right place and verry much look forward to hearing peoples' input.

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

There are a few of us here in the Philippines. We have about 50 members in the Yahoo group. The group is young though (less than a week now) but it's off to a good start.

I read a really good paper by the Rice Research Institute on using palay to make beer (malted palay of course). I have never malted rice, but have done some barley and wheat. I cheat a little and get some DME from the US.

I have also been importing yeast and hops from the US, but the yeast supply is stable here and I have a nice selection. Now if I can only grow hops in the tropics!!!:rockin:

There are lots of challenges to brewing in the Philippines, like sourcing equipment, ingredients and the warm climate; but we will survive.

If you are interested in joining the group we're at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homebrewers_philippines

Cheers,

Dan

Latest posts

Back