Hello from Pensacola, FL.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drac0

Reaction score
I think I should take a moment to introduce myself.

I'm Keith Conley, AKA Drac0 as I go about in the digital world. I live in Pensacola, FL and am the IS Manager of a local company here and also run my own web hosting business that I hope to someday use to leave my day job.. It's a dream that I'm working at.

I used to do the Renaissance Fair thing some years back when I lived in Fresno, Ca where I became exposed to home brew and the making of various libations. I kinda got hooked on Mead. I found I could buy it a Beverages And More but Chauncers Meade turned out to be only a seasonal item and it wasn't all that great anyway. I decided that if I wanted it more often then only at Christmas, I would have to make it myself.

To date, I've only made three batches of Mead, a Strawberry Melomel, a Guava Melomel and a Traditional Orange Blossom Honey Mead. All turned out pretty well.

After a series of layoffs, (the computer industry in Cali is messed up..) my wife and I decided to make a move for a change. We left Fresno and landed in Pensacola, FL. Talk about culture shock! We didn't have room for all our stuff so I ended up either selling or giving away a lot of belongings, my brew equipment included.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm back. I just bought me some new carboys and other equipment. I'm about to start a wild flower traditional mead, but I'm also going to start getting into beers. I never could stand most of the commercial beers out there, either too watery or just bland. I decided to start with a kit and move up to all grain as I progress along, after all, mead takes a while to age and I want to have something to drink.

I want to get into the more technical side of things. I'm a techie by trade and I like to know how things work. I've read with great interest the threads about yeast banking and sounds like something that would be a rewarding challenge to get into. Besides, with my wife's biology background, I have some of the more expensive items, such as a microscope already.

I ordered a stir plate from stirstarters.com (that's how I found out about this website) and just received my 2 liter flask today. Looks like I'll be making my starter tonight and looking forward to a brewday tomorrow!

Welcome to the forum. :mug: Be sure and check out all the sticky's. Insightful knowledge awaits you.

+1 on the stirstarter. Great product

Welcome to the forums from another displaced Californian. Grew up in Shafter and now work in Nashville, TN.

Welcome. Pensacola has a rather large homebrew club. It is a pretty quality club with events throughout the year.
http://www.escambiabayhomebrewers.org/

Had it not been for the club, I'd still be mixing extracts in my kitchen. We do bulk grain buys, group brewing, host Pensacola BeerFest, and various community events with the Belmont Arts Center.

Thanks Bearocalypse! I'll check it out. Do you buy from The Shady Lady, or are there other resources here in Pensacola (or close by) worth mentioning? IMO The Shady Lady's prices are pretty inflated and I'm not sure that the prices are all that great even after consider shipping costs.

The Shady Lady is where I got started, but I haven't been in there for ingredients since I moved to AG. I couldn't afford to do 10 gallon batches at 2.30/lb for grain and 3.00+/oz for hops. I pick up the occasional equipment, but even that is cheaper shipped sometimes. It's a good place to get into wine, and pick up the occasional thing, but they aren't the go-to store for me.

The club actually bulk orders grain a few times a year, so that's where I get the majority of my base malts from. Last order put me at about 48 cents per pound of 2row. I use hopdirect for bulk hops and I order brewmasterswarehouse or austinshomebrew for the rest of the ingredients.

Thanks for the info! I haven't started my beer kit yet, but I'm sure I'll get into beer eventually. I'll have to check out the club eventually.

Do you know any local resource for honey? I have a hard time believing that $30 for 12lbs is a good price for wild flower honey. But then again, the last time I bought honey was about 6 or 7 years ago and got Orange Blossom honey in California for about $1.50 /lb. But that was years ago and I know there's been bee problems since then causing prices to go up.

I don't know much about honey, as I've only used it in one brew and didn't need a lot. I'll ask around during the next club function.

Back