Hello from North Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstfrd00

Reaction score
My name is Russell. Got a brooklyn brewshop 1 gallon kit for Christmas. My first batch is in bottles (Beyond Blonde american ale). I have a 2nd batch in the fermentor (Warrior Double IPA). My plan is to wait until the 2nd batch is 100% done and note where I screwed up and make the neccesary improvements. For my third batch, probably in April, Im thinking of trying the grapefruit honey ale or jalapeno saison. Suggestions?

Sup homes.

Personally, I would stick to fairly simple, basic recipes until I got my process down pat (ex pale ale). Lots of strong flavors and adjuncts might make it difficult to root out off-flavors.

Sup Russell. We're in the same boat, in the same geographic region. Where in NorTex are you? I only have one bottle left from my gallon kit, and it's pretty bad. I'm scaling up to 5 gallons and working on my patience in order to make the beer I wanted to make from the get go.

Hunter - I agree about doing simple recipes, If the grapefruit honey ale or jalapeno saison weren't BBS kits, I wouldn't even be considering attempting them. :) but I think you might be onto something about the strong flavors, to make it easier to pin-point errors.

1977 - I am in Fort Worth (Roanoke / Justin, by the Texas Motor Speedway). you?(NVM: just looked at your location: weatherford) Currently small batches work for me, I have thought about getting bigger but I don't have the space as I have two small kids (ones 3yrs and the other is .083 yrs old [1 month]) and a small fridge.

Last edited:
Most my family lives in Azle. So were fairly close :)
You started off at 1 gal and is graduating to 5 gal? How long have you been brewing? Where do you get supplies at? I found a few online that sell small batch kits @ ~$8shipping :( but no shops locally

1 gallon is not nearly enough beer for me. Not even close. Especially at $15 a kit. So I'm jumping to 5 gallon all grain, mostly because I'm fairly comfortable with making mistakes and learning my way through this mess. I have a garage and a very patient wife. Bed Bath & Betond actually sells the Brooklyn refills in store, and online. I'll see if I can grab a 20% off coupon code for you, that shold cover the shipping.

If you can make the trip, Texas Brewing on 121 (http://www.txbrewing.com/) is full of friendly folks who love beer. They don't have 1 gallon kits, I've found, but they have all of the ingredients. Pull a recipe off the recipe section here, or google "beer recipes"...and divide by the volume of the recipe. Take them that recipe and they'll build it for you. I'm taking in three recipes on pay day.

I wasn't aware of Texas Brewing, I'll have to check them out. There is also The Winemakers Toy Store/Dallas Home Brew in Carrollton off of 35E and Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson.

I haven't been to the Dallas stores. If I'm in Dallas, I'm getting out as fast as possible, or I'm busy with work stuff.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

2.5G batches are a good intermediate step- cheaper yet a case or so of beer when you're done.

Thankis for the welcomes. I will definitely checking out the store on 121 :D

And if you try a belgian style? Witbier for example? One belgian blonde is always a good idea too!!

Welcome

Tx brewing.com is a great store. I use it for all my ingredients. The guys there are extremely helpful and full of suggestions. The website is really good too. They offer a loyalty bonus system.

I work in Bedford so not too far from Haltom city where txbrewing is.

I've got a 2 and a 1 yr old. Early morning brewing works for me. (5am starts)

Texas Brewing, aka Stubby's, is good. There's also Foreman's in Colleyville. It's a general store type place that sells a lot of HB stuff. The owner is into it. Dr Jekyll's in Pantego. Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson. All good shops. Then there's Austin Homebrew Supply for web ordering. They've done well for me.

Whole Foods and Central Market are good for off the wall ingredients, and have large beer selections.

Welcome to the best hobby ever invented. We need a north fortworth club. I am up in Justin and the new cap and hare location is too far south. Stubby's is great. I hate to think about how much money I have spent in there :)

Back