Hello from North Hollywood.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheIllicitOne

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I found this forum a while back and have been a lurker on it for a good while. I just moved to North Hollywood from Houston, Tx and I have a few questions. I was brewing with a friend of mine doing extract and BIAB style, but we were using his equipment. I have since moved and obviously couldn't steal my friends equipment. Seeing as how I don't have any equipment to start with I am looking for some recommendations. I am looking to do 5 and 10 gallon all grain brews to start with.

I have 3 15 gallon kegs at my disposal to start with which I picked up for $60 total (pretty good deal in my book.) I am planning on turning one into my brew kettle (adding a spigot and a sight glass) and another into my HLT. My first question involves the third keg. I've been reading about different variety of mash tuns, building methods, etc. I eventually, would like to turn this into a single tier HERMS system but don't have the cash to do it at the moment. So do you guys think I would be better off converting the keg as my MLT or just getting a water cooler to act as my MLT for now? I eventually plan on doing a recirculating system but again no money at the moment. I'm unsure of how the keg will work as an MLT because I've only seen people using them in recirculating systems. Haven't seen too many used in non recirculating systems and I am unsure of how they handle keeping temperatures steady during the mash process. Any advice on that point would be greatly appreciated.

Second question is this. Since I've never brewed with a "keggle" before and only on pots I would like to know what is the minimum BTU rating I should look for in a burner to do up to 10 gallon batches. I found some killer deals one 100,000 rated btu burners but I am unsure if this is strong enough to do the job efficiently.

Any help or insight you guys could provide would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance and I look forward to being a contributing member to this board very soon.

By the way, is there anyone in or near the North Hollywood area that would be willing to get together, talk brewing, let me look at their setup, assist on a brew day, or anything at all? If so let me know.

Thanks again.

Welcome. I don't use a keggle, don't live near Hollywood and generally can't answer any of your questions. But that's kind of my role here - the unhelpful one. :tank:

But welcome!

Back