Hello from North Dakota...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeKay

Reaction score
Hello. I got an idea from a friend to start home-brewing...

Well, I don't know how to start... I know we need a fermenter, one-way air valve, and hosing at the very least...

But I don't know how to interpret beer recipes, or where to get hops and the like...

Would supermarkets have hops, malt, and the rest?

Thanks much,
- CK

Welcome, I love North Dakota....except the Grand Fork's weather tried to kill my Wife once.

I have never seen hops in a supermarket. The best thing you can do is find a home brew store (HBS). Hopefully you have one in your area. Go talk to them. I have yet to find a shop where the people weren't more than happy to help. It would also be wise to pick up a beginners book. The "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" was my first book, but there are also may other good ones.

If you don't have a local HBS, then you will have to look online and this forum is a great place to get info. There are also many great online stores. Here is a previous thread that listed a bunch.

To start you should try a few extract kits. They have all the ingredients needed and most have OK instructions. After that the recipes you find will make more sense.

Howdy and I welcome! I'm a UND alum. Unfortunately I don't remember much in the way of microbrews or home brew supply up in your neck of the woods. There is a supply in the Twin Cities. I believe it's Northern Brewer.

Good luck and cheers.

Back