Hello from Montana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D85

Reaction score
Recently got into all grain. Been brewing extracts and mini mashes since 1985. I didn't need much help with extract. But with all grain this place is useful to me. Since I have watched for a while before joining.

Got a Brewzilla 65L on sale last year. 2 sessions done. I mostly brew in winter. Too busy otherwise. Lager yeast with this cold basement works well.

I have done a Spaten session and a Schwarzbier session this winter season. Spaten 1/1/23 is about to go in the keg. It's in the secondary fermenter now. Schwarzbier/Octoberfest is just getting started with fermentation. I was going with an Octoberfest but it is a little strong with the OG.

Spaten was 62% brewhouse efficiency, Schwarzbier was 75% efficiency. Spaten session had fast percolation/sparge. Yesterday had what I think is more normal. With a 1 hour sparging with 3 gallons.

I've been interested in all grain for a long time. Just made a commitment. Wanted to read what others are doing. I wanted 240V and I think I do bigger beers usually. So I wanted the bigger Brewzilla to not worry about maxing out volume.

I like 2 shovels Spaten also. Maybe I should do that sometime.
I have 4 kegs. Last year was Irish Death, Obsidian Stout, Octoberfest and Spaten Münchner Helles. All are good. Everything W-34/70 yeast.
I thought I change to much. I'm trying to at least keep the yeast the same. Basement temperatures the same lager temperatures.

I manage a ranch near the Bob (Marshall). Slower during Dec-Jan-Feb. So I make beer then. I see too many empties in your signature. Are you on that grampamark?

I manage a ranch near the Bob (Marshall). Slower during Dec-Jan-Feb. So I make beer then. I see too many empties in your signature. Are you on that grampamark?
I just kegged the Cali Common 2 days ago. I’m going to brew something this weekend because the weather is supposed to suck. Hauling grain this week.

Welcome! Also from Montana here. Glad to see more of us popping up

Back