Hello from Mizzou

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
Hey to everyone out there. I've been watching this site along with a couple others for a while, but had to join this one when I ran across a post on coconut rum stout...congrats to BigKahuna as it was his post that roped me in. I'm just another poor college student who loves good beer enough to spend all of my expendable income on making and drinking it. I haven't really seen anyone on here from Missouri yet, but I'd love to know if there are more HBers around...I started brewing a few months ago, and it wasn't exactly legal for me to do so at the time, but after reading the coveted "joy of home brewing" and a few other starter books I had to give it a try. On top of that, one of my roommates and I decided that in order to skip the hassle of bottling we would build chest freezer keggerator. This turned out to be a blessing and curse all in one, as we've found that pulling a tap handle and watching beer flow into a glass is not only amusing, but much cleaner for the environment, and easier than bottles. Now we bottle and keg...so much for convenience. I'm in a fraternity on campus that a few of my high school friends started (a few of us refer to it as the funny frat) on account of the fact that it isn't much of a fraternity, not insinuating anything at all about the sexual preference of the members. Anyway, I'm part of the fermenter's club at MU and thought I could pick up as many tips as I could from you much more knowledgeable, wiser, brewers. Not only for the club, but for my benefit as well. Cheers!

There are more than a few of us from Missouri. And yes... The grain buy is good, vedy good.

BM I may have to have to take you up on the bulk purchase option, because last year we paid out the *** for supplies. Granted it was university money, but maybe they'll shave the savings off of my tuition ;) Every time I hear dirt, cheap, and beer in the same sentence I always get the image of a dirty old man in a cowboy hat with his head super-imposed on a body builder. I'm sure you know the commercials, "the more she drinks, the better you look" Anyway, tell me more about this group. I foresee us spending just as much money, but brewing more beer. By the way, I just saw your rolling kegerator, and I'm thinking of building one...or at least putting wheels on our chest freezer so it's not so far away from our grill.

BM I may have to have to take you up on the bulk purchase option...tell me more about this group.

If you want to get on the email list, PM me your email address. About every 45 days we have a pallet or double pallet order filled and everyone picks up in South St. Louis. Generally we're talking $23-$37 for 55 pound sacks of base grain. Half sacks are usually available. There are even partials of 5, 10 and 20 pounds on crystals and other specialty malts.

I started brewing a few months ago, and it wasn't exactly legal for me to do so at the time, but after reading the coveted "joy of home brewing" and a few other starter books I had to give it a try.

So are you of legal age to consume alcohol or not?

If so welcome!

Hah, yes I'm 21 now, but at the time of our first brew I had a week left until my birthday, and that's been over 6 months ago. I got started brewing with a few friends who are all older than I am, so I guess you could say I was just an innocent bystander until that fateful day when our beer was ready.

well i call it a co conspirator to coment comsuption of untaxed laibations by a minor
on state property (the universty)

but what ever tomato toe-mato
am i right ?

bunghole.jpg

Hello from your sister campus down south. The newly renamed Missouri S and T. The bulk grain buys are an awesome way to cut down on expences. If you could get together with other brewers up there to buy a lot and split the gas it may well be worth it.

Chavez

Yes I suppose, though you entered the competition with tomato bisque while I had fancy ketchup. Though we brewed on my parents property negating the state property allegation.

Hello from your sister campus down south. The newly renamed Missouri S and T. The bulk grain buys are an awesome way to cut down on expences. If you could get together with other brewers up there to buy a lot and split the gas it may well be worth it.

Chavez

Being part of a brewing club up here I'm sure we can find somebody to pick it up. I was delighted to find that during the summer they continued brewing, and they have 50 gallons of wort fermenting and kegged. I'm sure we'll have some kind of get together this year, and all will be invited.

M-I-Z

I wasted too many brain cells and too much money at Shiloh, Harpos, Field House, Willie's, what was then Big 12 (then Campus) and any number of the other bars downtown. Ahh, good times.

Z-O-U right back at you donner. Yes I too have spent some time in those fine establishments. This weekend before the home game was one of those times.

Back