Hello from North Carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunnyDMC

Reaction score
I started home brewing in the early days of COVID and I'm significantly poorer for the experience. I love it. I started with a propane home brew kit (glass carboy and all) and moved to electric BIAB after 4 batches or so. I have a Brau kettle and basket with a DIY mis-match of other components that I bought used from my boss. When my controller died on the same day I got a 50 amp, 240 volt circuit installed in my garage for car charging, I decided that it's time to go 3-vessle HERMS.

Thats why I'm here. I'm about half-way through the DIY HERMS build. I did a LOT of reading on this forum and watched a ton of Bobby from NJ's video's (thank you so much). I've decided to post some info about my rig here and start contributing to the discussion.

Hope that's okay.

Hey DMC, and welcome. It's always good to have another poster here, both to learn and learn from. It's an awesome hobby where you get to consume the results, as you've been finding out for a while now. I've been doing it for 14+ years, and the fascination never goes away; may change direction, but still there. Unless that's your thing, don't let it get overwhelming (or underwhelming), and you'll still be enjoying it for decades to come.

Welcome! from another NC guy. It sounds like you are pretty well sucked into the obsession. Happy brewing!

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. Sounds like you saw the rabbit hole and just jumped in. Good for you. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I'm a 4 vessel HERMS guy. My 4th vessel is an ice water tank with a fish pond pump to circulate ice cold water through my immersion chiller and temperature control coil on my fermenter.

Temperature control needs to be a priority for you if you don't already have it. Controlled fermentation temperature is one of the best things you can do to improve your beers.

Welcome to the madness we call a hobby. Sounds like you saw the rabbit hole and just jumped in. Good for you. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I'm a 4 vessel HERMS guy. My 4th vessel is an ice water tank with a fish pond pump to circulate ice cold water through my immersion chiller and temperature control coil on my fermenter.

Temperature control needs to be a priority for you if you don't already have it. Controlled fermentation temperature is one of the best things you can do to improve your beers.
So, that's interesting. I own a plate chiller and have decided that I no longer need it in the 3-vessle HERMS. I had planned on filling my HLT with ice water and using the coil to chill my wort. What do you know that I don't?

My HLT is purpose built for its own task of heating. My 4th vessel is actually a 30 gal ss Co2 tank with all the innerads removed. It's purpose is the cold side. But you could definitely use your HLT as a chill pot also. Once your beer is in the BK you could chill your HLT down and fill it with ice and water. Bingo you would have the equivalent of my chill pot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back