Hello from Minnesota!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjwelna

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to say "hi" and introduce myself. My name is Steve and I just managed to stumble across this site via a random google search link. I have to say, it's a very impressive site with a lot of information! My only attempt at brewing beer was about 2 years ago with a Mr. Beer kit (I know I know....seems everyone gets the spark lit with these things) and the batch failed miserably! :drunk: I'm sure it was because the extract I used was VERY old and so was everything else in the kit. It had been sitting in a closet for years and I decided to try it out. I believe I will be picking up a nice lot of equipment from a local home brewer tomorrow for a good price, so I hope to get my feet wet again with some malt extract brews to start. I'll take it easy and work my way up from there. I'm going to be 24 soon and have had several friends who were big into home brewing and I always thought it looked like it would be a fun side hobby. Thanks!

EDIT: The gist of the list of equipment I'm going to look at tomorrow is: 3 3-gal carboys, 3 5-gal carboys, 5 plastic fermenting pails, bunch of wine/beer bottles (empty), brushes/scrubbers/paddle/sanitizer, capper and corker, funnels, hydrometer, thermometer, and a bunch of fermentation locks and a few other things.

-Steve

thought i would be the first to say hi and welcome. this is the best site to learn about homebrewing!

Welcome to the boards! Where you at in MN? Is it still snowing there like it is in Fargo, ND?

No snow is really left on the ground here, I'm in Rochester. Anyone else in town or are you guys all up in the cities? Glad to know there are some locals around!

-Steve

Im originally from Rochester, but I now live in Brooklyn Park (NW burb of Minneapolis)

Good to have another Minnesota-ite!

Wow, so I just picked up all the equipment earlier. This cool older guy who had been brewing for a couple of years totally just hooked me up with like 500 bucks worth of equipment for about 200 bucks..... :mug: Now I need to find room in my apartment for all of it! :p

-Steve

Looks like you had a great find, I hope it all works out for you. Keep your eye's peeled for other brewers in your neck of the I know we have a few down there. I'm from the Cities (N. St. Paul) if you are ever planning a trip to the cities, PM me we can get together for a brew at Barley Johns or even knock back some home brew at my place. Welcome aboard!

...Minnesota Homebrewtalk ....has a nice ring to it.

Welcome from up north in New York Mills, MN--I have a brother who is into wine making in Rochester--I blame him. 3 months ago never had a thought about brewing--now fourth batch (scottish light ale 60/-) is boiling as I type. Good Brewing and yes, for all of you who care, it's snowing like a b**** right now!

Yeah, the short list of stuff is:

-7 carboys (3-gal and 5-gal)
-4 or 5 plastic primaries
-hydrometer
-thermometer
-racking cane/tubing/bottle filler
-TONS of misc cleaning powders
-TONS of misc additives for wine making/flavorings
-bottle and carboy brushes
-bottle sanitizer/squirter thing
-hand bottle capper
-floor standing wine corker
-about 10 1-gal jugs
-a few dozen beer bottles (22 oz)
-a few wine bottles (I turned down literally 6-7 cases of empty bottles as I just didn't have the room for it)
-4 bags of corks
-2 bags of bottle caps
-a 2" thick booklet of recipies/notes
-3 wine/beer making books (The new complete joy of home brewing, the art of making wine, and an older Guidelines to practical winemaking)
-1-gallon bucket full of fermentation/CO2 locks for the primaries
-a "Fizz-X" agitator for wine
-some kind of filtration thing for wine that looks like an old pump-hand sprayer for round up but has a hose and filter thing attached to it.... (no idea how to use this btw)
-misc funnels/scoops/basters/etc
-a bucket belt warmer thing for wine as well

All of this for ~200 bucks. The guy was super cool to boot! Told me he'd help me out if I had any questions too. I'm sure I'm missing something in that laundry list but that's the vast majority of it all. Now it's time to start making some beer!!! :rockin:

-Steve

Sounds like we might need to have a brew day and fill some of those carboys up next time Im in Rochester!

sjwelna said:
Yeah, the short list of stuff is:

-7 carboys (3-gal and 5-gal)
-4 or 5 plastic primaries
-hydrometer
-thermometer
-racking cane/tubing/bottle filler
-TONS of misc cleaning powders
-TONS of misc additives for wine making/flavorings
-bottle and carboy brushes
-bottle sanitizer/squirter thing
-hand bottle capper
-floor standing wine corker
-about 10 1-gal jugs
-a few dozen beer bottles (22 oz)
-a few wine bottles (I turned down literally 6-7 cases of empty bottles as I just didn't have the room for it)
-4 bags of corks
-2 bags of bottle caps
-a 2" thick booklet of recipies/notes
-3 wine/beer making books (The new complete joy of home brewing, the art of making wine, and an older Guidelines to practical winemaking)
-1-gallon bucket full of fermentation/CO2 locks for the primaries
-a "Fizz-X" agitator for wine
-some kind of filtration thing for wine that looks like an old pump-hand sprayer for round up but has a hose and filter thing attached to it.... (no idea how to use this btw)
-misc funnels/scoops/basters/etc
-a bucket belt warmer thing for wine as well

All of this for ~200 bucks. The guy was super cool to boot! Told me he'd help me out if I had any questions too. I'm sure I'm missing something in that laundry list but that's the vast majority of it all. Now it's time to start making some beer!!! :rockin:

-Steve

I think I saw that same post on craigslist, but didn't have time to pick up anything before I went on vacation. I'm also in Rochester, and if you need brewing supplies, I'd definitely recommend checking out VonKlopp's brew shop on 52N across the frontage road from Menard's. They still have a ton of hops at decent prices.

drunkatuw said:
I think I saw that same post on craigslist, but didn't have time to pick up anything before I went on vacation. I'm also in Rochester, and if you need brewing supplies, I'd definitely recommend checking out VonKlopp's brew shop on 52N across the frontage road from Menard's. They still have a ton of hops at decent prices.

Yup, this is the list of stuff off of craigslist, the guy totally hooked me up big time. I was up at VonKlopp's last saturday and it seems like they have a very nice little satellite shop going here in Rochester. The gentleman I bought all the equipment from also recommended U-Brew off of hwy 14 as well.

-Steve

Just brewed up my first batch today! I used one of Brewer's Best "English Pale Ale" kits just to get my feet wet. Everything went fine, no scorching the LME and no boilovers. I had everything cleaned and sanitized as best I could so now it's just time to wait it out and see what happens. I hope I didn't contaminate it! :mug:

-Steve

sjwelna said:
Just brewed up my first batch today! I used one of Brewer's Best "English Pale Ale" kits just to get my feet wet. Everything went fine, no scorching the LME and no boilovers. I had everything cleaned and sanitized as best I could so now it's just time to wait it out and see what happens. I hope I didn't contaminate it! :mug:

-Steve

as long as you didn't pee in the carboy, everything should work out fine...extract kits make good beer easy.

Back