Hello from Houston TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian77095

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My first brew is in the fermenter! Can not say it is all of y'alls fault but reading everything here had a lot to do with it!

Got the big mouth bubbler for Christmas and currently brewing Caribou Slobber Extract.

Hope to put it in a secondary later this week and, I am trying to figure out my next brew! Any suggestions?

Happy New Year! And Happy New Beer!!

Brian

Welcome to HBT from a fellow Houstonian.

Have you been to Defalco's (LHBS) yet ?

They are over on Stella Link just inside the South Loop (610)

They have a great selection of all types of ingredient kits and a ton of recipes that you can choose from which they will pull the ingredients for.

Great place and very knowledgeable / helpful staff.

Maybe the "Big Ass Texas Brown Ale" from Defalco's

Cheers
:mug:

Salty-Dawg,

Thanks for the info! I have been to Defalco's website a few times but, have yet to make it over to their location. It is definitely on the list! I might just go give them a look this weekend. They have a sale on so St Almost kits it looks like.

Brian

Welcome to HBT from a fellow Houstonian.

Have you been to Defalco's (LHBS) yet ?

They are over on Stella Link just inside the South Loop (610)

They have a great selection of all types of ingredient kits and a ton of recipes that you can choose from which they will pull the ingredients for.

Great place and very knowledgeable / helpful staff.

Maybe the "Big Ass Texas Brown Ale" from Defalco's

Cheers

I checked out their website as well but the store is much better than the website portrays.

I think you'll be like a kid in a candy store...LOL. I was...

Cheers

Welcome to the obsession, I mean the hobby! I would also go with Salty-Dawg suggestion of the Big Ass Texas Brown Ale also. Yeah, go to the store, talk with the guys, they are very helpful and taste some of the beer they have on tap. it is about time for me to make a trek up there!

I also got a Big Mouth Bubbler for Christmas. Verdict is still out on whether I like it or not. They need a better way to secure the lid. Will probably make a gasket of some sort to go with the top.

On my first brew I did not have an issue securing the lid but, I could see after a while it becoming harder and harder to seal.

I found out that they do now sale a gasket set. I might take a look at those to see how they work.

If you come up with a diy gasket let me know!

It is true they could make that better but it sure was easy cleaning the primary.

Brian

Welcome to the obsession, I mean the hobby! I would also go with Salty-Dawg suggestion of the Big Ass Texas Brown Ale also. Yeah, go to the store, talk with the guys, they are very helpful and taste some of the beer they have on tap. it is about time for me to make a trek up there!

I also got a Big Mouth Bubbler for Christmas. Verdict is still out on whether I like it or not. They need a better way to secure the lid. Will probably make a gasket of some sort to go with the top.

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew, Brian! Deflaco's is definitely more impressive in person than their website. Great selection and knowledgeable staff. The only downside is the drive. I am in the Heights area, so some things I just found out about that may interest you as well:

A new homebrew shop just opened on North Shepherd just outside the loop, Farmboy Brew Shop. Its smaller than Defalcos, but alot shorter drive if you need something last minute for brewday. There's also a push to get a Heights,Garden Oaks, NW Houston homebrew club "Brewers of the Hood" started.

If you want to meet some other brewers, theres a Red Ale competition at Farmboy on Jan 24th that you can attend whether you brew something for it or not. I'll be there with my Nortwoods Red Ale and am looking forward to it.

Both Farmboy and Brewers of the Hood have Facebook pages with more details if you're interested.

Say hi if you see me there on the 24th. I'll probably be the only one with Milwaukee Brewers or Packers gear on.

Sounds like fun times!

So for the Red Ale competition you would have had to start that a while back right? You have to present it in a bottle?

I joined the Katie Home brew Club CIA on facebook they seem like good folks. I will have to look the other clubs up.

Thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew, Brian! Deflaco's is definitely more impressive in person than their website. Great selection and knowledgeable staff. The only downside is the drive. I am in the Heights area, so some things I just found out about that may interest you as well:

A new homebrew shop just opened on North Shepherd just outside the loop, Farmboy Brew Shop. Its smaller than Defalcos, but alot shorter drive if you need something last minute for brewday. There's also a push to get a Heights,Garden Oaks, NW Houston homebrew club "Brewers of the Hood" started.

If you want to meet some other brewers, theres a Red Ale competition at Farmboy on Jan 24th that you can attend whether you brew something for it or not. I'll be there with my Nortwoods Red Ale and am looking forward to it.

Both Farmboy and Brewers of the Hood have Facebook pages with more details if you're interested.

Say hi if you see me there on the 24th. I'll probably be the only one with Milwaukee Brewers or Packers gear on.

Yes you would've needed to start the red ale awhile back, but you can certainly still go there and try other people's brews.

I was going to say the same about Farm Boy I started going there about 2 weeks ago Landon is very helpful and patient Defalcos is bigger but sometimes a bit too busy to answer questions and their website is very out dated prices are not the same as shown fyi.... all aside welcome to home brewing.. im on BW8 and Veterans Memorial (north) where abouts in Cypress are you from?

Yeah I see my self doing this for a while I plan to visit all of them!

I live close to Telge and Spring Cypress so I am not exactly close to any of them.

I was going to say the same about Farm Boy I started going there about 2 weeks ago Landon is very helpful and patient Defalcos is bigger but sometimes a bit too busy to answer questions and their website is very out dated prices are not the same as shown fyi.... all aside welcome to home brewing.. im on BW8 and Veterans Memorial (north) where abouts in Cypress are you from?

Brian,

Here is another shop that may be a little easier to get to...

www.brew-it-yourself.com/

It is on I-45 North Freeway just north of Rayford Sawdust.

It is not as big as Defalco's but it may be worth a drive over just to know what all they have in case you need something on Brew Day etc..

Back