hello from Hamilton ON

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmati

Reaction score
Hello

This a bit awkward, i guess ill start from the beginning. I finally dove in to making my own home brew, a bit mad t myself i haven't tried doing it myself earlier, but i guess its never too late. I'm still using kits but want to move to making it from scratch, once i have all the equipment together. I also want to give kegging a shot or two ...

I have one question though where do the locals get there co2 tanks refilled/re-certified, I have a 20lb tank and need to find a place in Hamilton or around that will do the job for a fair price.

Thanks
Matthew

Welcome :mug:
Can't help you on a specific place, but if you can find a welding supply store, they might be able to help you.
You could also ask a local restaurant or tavern where they get theirs from.

found it
its not a welding supply store
the place is called "Hamilton fire" they deal with fire safety and suppression systems, and also refill and certify tanks.
My 20lb certification plus fill was 35$ (cnd) (no affiliation obviously just from shopping around)
Anyway thanks for the welcome, cant wait to start kegging

Matthew

Guess I'm a little later for this one, but here are a few places for future reference. You might also want to hook up with the local brew club. Google search Southern Ontario Brewers (SOB).

Classic Fire Protection Inc
4380 South Service Road,
Burlington, ON L7L 5Y6
Tel. : 905-631-6100

----------------------------------------------------

Herbert Williams
70 Ironside Crescent, Unit 1 & 2
Scarborough, Ontario M1X 1G4
416-292-8630

Flame Tamer Fire & Safety
8058 Torbram Road,
Brampton, ON L6T 3T2
905-791-3102

A B P ENR
4525 Avenue Des Industries
St-Vincent-DE-Paul, Que H7C 1A1
450-664-3310

Norwood Fire Extinguisher Co Ltd
62 Advance Road,
Etobicoke, ON M8Z 2T7
416-239-7357

Hamilton Fire Control Co
445 Wentworth Street North,
Hamilton, ON L8L 5W7
905-527-7042

Patrick's CO2
48 Page Street
St. Catharines, ON L2R 4A7
905-684-6713

Acorn Fire & Safety Ltd
519-884-5300
12-614 Colby Drive,
Waterloo, ON N2V 1A2

---------------------------------------------

Tri County Welding

Kitchener Store
17 Manitou Drive
Kitchener, Ont.
pH : 519-894-1414
Fax: 519-894-1680

January 12, 2010 $12.46 (including tax) for 5lb refill. Took less than 5 minutes. Beware the shut off CO2 at 3:45. Paul

Guelph Store
54 Elizabeth Street
Guelph Ont.
pH : 519-821-7770
Fax: 519-821-7771

In cambridge I go to Sunox off franklin blvd.

Its about $13 to fill 5lb of CO2

found it
its not a welding supply store
the place is called "Hamilton fire" they deal with fire safety and suppression systems, and also refill and certify tanks.
My 20lb certification plus fill was 35$ (cnd) (no affiliation obviously just from shopping around)
Anyway thanks for the welcome, cant wait to start kegging

Matthew

Land of Tim Hortons! Welcome. Hope you found some cheap CO2 (getting hard to find out here in Calgary these days!).

@LayMeister

Thanks for all the CO2 refilling info around the GTA
Im sure will come useful for the next person looking for it, or another source for myself
I used theese guys :

Hamilton Fire Control Co
445 Wentworth Street North,
Hamilton, ON L8L 5W7
905-527-7042

I cant remember how much was just the fill but certification plus fill is 35$
And thanks for the sob tip, will definitely look into it

ps guys

looking for a simple recipe for a complete newb like i am. I really want to move away from the "kit-in-a-can" . My fermenters will become empty soon so I want to refill them.
I don't really care what type it is (i <3 all beer) but looking for something which will work well without heating or cooling and will "live" well in a heated basement environment.

Thanks
Matthew

Not sure what you mean. Do you not want to boil or not heat the primary while fermenting?

Paul

@LayMeister

I don't really care what type it is (i <3 all beer) but looking for something which will work well without heating or cooling and will "live" well in a heated basement environment.

Thanks
Matthew

sorry, I will re-elaborate

obviously i have to boil it ... give me some credit
I meant that I just simply want to place the primary fermenter in my basement and forget about it for 2 weeks or so, until i have to rack it in the secondary.

WHAT!! YOU DON"T PLAN ON COOLING YOUR BEER!!!!!

Harr, just having fun with you. Welcome to brewing. A pity that Gary screwed you out of a NHL team.:mug:

Hello fellow Canuck! I used to live in Burlington, right next door....For good easy recipes check out The joy of homebrewing. The book has very basic recipes from just tweaking canned kits (adding hops) all the way to all grain. I have made batches from this book and all have been great. The book also explains the brewing process in simple terms.
Good luck!

Salutations to a neighbor to the north from sunny Buffalo NY (AKA Southern Ontario- I watched Sesame Street in French!) And about your NHL team... if you got one who would we sell all our Leafs game tickets to?

Sorry, no slight intended, but there are no-boil recipes.

Just about any ale recipe would be fine fermenting in a slightly cool basement this time of year. Have a look in the recipe section of this site. Some are extremely popular and even have threads totaling the number of gallons that members have produced.

My first brew was an IPA. That was 15 years ago.

Happy brewing,
Paul

sorry, I will re-elaborate

obviously i have to boil it ... give me some credit
I meant that I just simply want to place the primary fermenter in my basement and forget about it for 2 weeks or so, until i have to rack it in the secondary.

Im Glad to see that there are more people getting into brewing in hamilton. If you want a good source for recipes to start with, i suggest the book "Clone Brews". You can order it in from indigo. There are alot of recipes in there, and as you get more experienced you can put your own spins on them. Cheers.

Dan

Thanks Guys for the warm welcome.
It seams like my textbook collection will be growing in completely new direction ... interesting "magnetism" "digital communications" "the C programming language" "how to make beer" ach morning humor

its nice to see people from Hamilton, Danmcg.

Welcome. I'm also in Hamilton.

I haven't actually brewed anything yet, but I'm working on it :)

Back