Hello from Guam/Virginia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flubdubman

Reaction score
Guam (where there are NO homebrew shops!)
Hello Everyone,

I posted about a month-ish ago, but never did do the formal introduction thing. Right now I'm stationed in Guam USA, but will be moving back to the Virginia area (somewhere between Yorktown and Richmond) about the first week of Feb. I have not brewed in over 5 years and have been dreaming about it for months now, in fact my one and only post was asking "what would you buy if you were starting fresh" I seem to have lost interest in the usual cheesy sci-fi/horror novels that used to fill my spare time and now its stir plate plans, yeast characteristics, carbonation charts, whirlpooling techniques, etc etc. And it will be months before I even get to brew again!

Looks like I'm going to have a chance to have an entire garage to myself for my brew space: we're building from scratch, so I will make sure it is plumbed, shelved, etc. for that optimal brew experience. If anyone has any good suggestions BEFORE the plans are actually drawn up and construction begins... well, I'm open to every one of them - I want to make my space the most convenient possible (without completely breaking the bank). I was kicking around the idea of an expensive RIMS deal, but now leaning toward just a simple batch sparge setup and putting the extra $ into dedicated chest freezers for fermentation, lagering/dispensing, and of course all the cornies/taps/etc. that will require.

Anyway, just wanted to officially say Hi to everyone since I have been lurking around this site for quite a time without saying much. I cant wait to be back into the neurotic disorder... I mean habbit... I mean HOBBY again ;) and as much as I love this Corona commercial I'm living in (read: secluded tropical beaches), I can't wait to get back to the mainland again!

Talk to you soon

Jeff

Wow! Guam is beautiful... A Corona commercial, for sure.

For your garage:

A big deep double-basin mop sink will be a tremendous benefit for washing large items. Even a single basin sink would be very advantageous.

Make sure you have a hot and cold water hose bib for 3/4 inch garden hose connections that is separate from the normal hot and cold taps on the sink, and in addition to your washing machine if that is out in the garage.. This will come in really handy for washing up after brewing and to supply cold water for your wort chiller.

A taller than normal ceiling will help to ensure plenty of space if you go with the three-tier gravity setup. Most garages are built with an eight foot ceiling. Ten feet would be really nice.

More power outlets than you think you need on a minimum of two different circuits. All those refrigerators, you know, not to mention power tools. Have a third circuit for 220 volt service if you think you might want to weld. Put them at 4 or 5 foot height off the floor so they are above the surface of any work benches.

Good insulation, including insulated garage door. Heating and cooling and good ventilation, if you can manage it.

Welcome! I was stationed on Guam a few years back.....I loved it, but I was single back then. :) I assume you're headed to either Yorktown, Norfolk, or VA Beach? I just left Langley AFb (in Hampton) a couple months ago. The area is OK.....at least you have some homebrewing resources around. There are a handfull of members here around as well, to include my good friend and esteemed moderator who goes by "Dude".

Best of luck with the move, and we look forward to hearing more from ya!

Put them at 4 or 5 foot height off the floor so they are above the surface of any work benches.
Outstanding idea on the electrical outlets being 4 or 5 feet up... thats something I had not thought of. One of my requirements in this new house to be built will be extra outlets in EVERY room, including, of course, the garage. I definitely want the garage to be insulated and heated/ac'd, if I can afford it, well see what the cost breakdown is for everything once we actually hire a builder. Prolly wont need the 220 service because I can't see myself ever welding, but who knows, maybe I'll throw it in there just in case I want to make use of some mondo electric heating elements for something... thats unlikely as well, I think I'm gonna keep it relatively simple for the mash setup. The sinks are definitely part of the plans - figured I'd do the double basin utility sink (not on the floor like for mops) but have the faucets mounted up higher on the wall so I will have clearance for cornies and other large items. Double faucets are also in the plans - will be nice to be able to have water access for more then one thing at a time.
I assume you're headed to either Yorktown, Norfolk, or VA Beach? I just left Langley AFB (in Hampton) a couple months ago.
Ya, gonna be working in Yorktown as an instructor for Optician school (Navy and Army). I spent almost ten years in the area prior to my duty in Guam, so it will feel like coming back home. LanglyAFB was always where I did my grocery shopping - much nicer then Ft. Eustice!

OK, so any other ideas for the garage... keep em coming!

Jeff

Beer4breakfast pretty much summed up my Ideas, Maybe an ageing cabinet, dark and temp controled. or a simple walkin cooler would be nice Ha!

Anyway, as a homebrewer welcome to the board.
As an American, Thank you for your service to the country!

Seriously consider building a walk-in cooler in one corner with its own A/C unit. Doesn't have to be huge, but having a space at 50F is great for storage, aging, and lager fermentations.

I lived, graduated from high school and UOG there. Then worked for Guam Water, which use to be PUAG. I then hopped on with civil service as a lab technician at the Piti Power plant. Fact, my son is there with his mother now living in Dededo and graduating this year from Father D high school. Lots of great memories. Some of my dearest friends are still there. Played in a bunch of bands in the 80's, but the rockest one was with the M-80's. Great beaches, but a lot has changed since the 80's. Crime and population have made it not so much fun like it use to be. I mean, then you could go to NCS beach or Yigo, or Yona at anytime of the night, but I've heard that's all changed now.

I highly recommend putting at least one 220 circuit in the garage. I specifically had two 50 amp circuits added to mine - one for welding, the other for an air compressor. Turns out I'm using a large oven in the garage as well. It was money well spent early on.

Also, make sure you use at least 20 amp circuits in the garage. My stupid electrician used two 15 amp circuits in mine, and I blow breakers way too often. My workaround is a homemade extension cord that runs off of one leg of one of the 220 circuits - 50 amp 110 - sweet!

olllllo said:
Brewing or not, epoxy seal your garage floor.
Duly noted! Actually, I AM taking notes and keeping a little house folder - it's so easy to overlook things. The house I'm in now I had built and I forgot to leave space in the kitchen for a dishwasher... could have easily been done, simple oversight on my part.
I highly recommend putting at least one 220 circuit in the garage. Also, make sure you use at least 20 amp circuits in the garage.
Also noted... thats the second vote for 220 - though I'm not a welder, this WILL be my retirement home and who knows what sort of crazy hobbies I'll get myself into 20 years from now, so maybe I'll err on the side of overkill and have it done anyway.
Brewing or not, epoxy seal your garage floor.
Good idea... I take it that makes the floor easy to hose down? - Also noted!
Crime and population have made it not so much fun like it use to be. I mean, then you could go to NCS beach or Yigo, or Yona at anytime of the night, but I've heard that's all changed now.
I dunno... I absolutely love it hear, and while of course there is crime, just like anywhere, I don't think it is anything crazy or out of hand (I grew up in Chicago). The military folks here all seem to love or hate Guam - nothing in between. I find that the people who hate it here are the complainers, the glass half empty people. They are quick to see a little bit of graffiti in the business district, or a few abandonded cars on the side of the road or one too many stray dogs, but they never take the time to hike to any of the 13 waterfalls, or explore the caves, or visit all the different beaches, many of which are so secluded and private you feel like you own the whole Island... They do not go to the fiestas, the night market, listen to the local musicians, hike the jungles, pet the random side of the road carribu... in short, these are the people that I generally like to avoid. This Island is so beautiful and the Islanders are so warm and friendly, I'm REALLY going to miss it - it truely is a paradise - 86 degrees all day every day of the year - most people I know save up all year long to spend 2 weeks in places like this, and I live here. (end of sermon).
Anyway, as a homebrewer welcome to the board.
As an American, Thank you for your service to the country!
Thanks!

Jeff

Welcome aboard and soon to be welcome back. Thanks for the pics. I have many good memories of living on Quam back when I was a Navy Brat. We lived by the Naval Station near Agana. It was a walk to the beach & the harbor and one of the coolest places to be to watch the typhoons roll thru.

Hopfan: The Naval Station near Agana is now basically just section 8 housing. If I ever get so bad off that I need to live in low income housing, I will do it in Guam... maybe the only place that Section 8 residents have full ocean view!

flubdubman said:
Hopfan: The Naval Station near Agana is now basically just section 8 housing. If I ever get so bad off that I need to live in low income housing, I will do it in Guam... maybe the only place that Section 8 residents have full ocean view!

Boy, things sure do change! You're right though, that has to be one of the only places in the world where low income housing has one helluva view.

Back