Hello from Farmington Hills MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zccef

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce my self and thank you all for this wealth of information that is at my fingertips. I have not purchased any of my brew supplies yet I am doing as much homework as I can. I am sure it wont be long though. Can anyone recommend a good place to pickup brew supplies? Adventures in Homebrewing and Cap n' Cork are the only I was able to find that are close. Any other's or thoughts on those two? Any ideas on where I can come across cheep supplies, be it off a website or where ever would be appreciated(i have been watching craigslist). Thanks again and I look forward to my first brew and the beaning of a new addiction.

Hello from Wyandotte. Adventures is great and I have heard good things about Captian Cork too. We are lucky to have great stores here locally and we should support them.

i hear that Boone i am headed out to Adventures this weekend with my friend who introduced me to the idea of brewing. i am down with supporting local as well as getting my supplies right away so i can brew! Thanks Bier and Dragon i will keep them in mind for ingredients as i have heard that the stores around me dont always have the greatest selection. I picked up How to Brew Palmer from the library yesterday so i hope to get through that this weekend. Also my dad mentioned his friends who brewed(wasnt sure if they still did) used to get their ingredients from eastern market, some shop down there. Does anyone have any thoughts on that know if its still open?

Welcome from Northville!
I really like Adventures but if I'm in a pinch I'll go to the Wine Barrel on Plymouth between Middlebelt and Merriman. :mug:

Welcome to the forums from another Farmington brewer. I generally go to Hopman's up in Waterford, but I have family up towards there so that helps. I've always had excellent service and great information from them.

Cap n' Cork is my LHBS of choice. I have had great customer service from everyone their but one guy. Malt prices are cheaper at Brewing World, located next to Kuhnhenn Brewing Co in Warren, but the customer service and ingredients are lacking.

hey thanks for the warm welcome everyone. i went to hopmans with my friend because he hadnt been there before. got my self a carboy and an IPA kit and brewed yesterday. lot of fun excited to have some beer in like a month and a half.

Zccef - feel free to also visit Hopman's in Waterford. The S.N.O.B.S. brew club uses the store as a home base for meetings also. Both are a great resource for getting started. SNOBs Brew Club

I want to say that Castle's on farmington Rd and 7 mile has homebrew supplies. I think they bought out Brew n Grow when they closed.

Linc

Hello from Livonia

Link stole my thunder, but I frequent Wine Castle at 7 and Farmington as well as Hopman's. Wine Castle holds the bare essentials but are very close to my house which is nice because Hopman's which has almost everything but is kind of a hike for me. Wine Barrel has decent amounts of stock but I don't find their ingredients the freshest sometimes and I don't like the customer service. If you want knowledge and know how go to Hopman's, if you need some quick ingredients or you broke your air lock head to Wine Castle. I should be fair and mention that I have not been to Cap n Cork, Kuhenhenn (sp) or adventures in homebrewing, but I have never heard a bad thing about any of those.

Also as Linc mentioned check out a SNOBs meeting. You will learn a lot, meetings are the first Tuesday of every month. Check out the website for more info.

Good luck and Cheers.

Welcome from up north.

+1 on Hopman's, always great service when I go there, and is the closet place for me to get a 50 lb bag of grain.

Back