Hello From California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinola

Reaction score
I am a new homebrewer curious about homebrewing. I just bought my first starter kit from morebeer. Morebeer is about 15 minutes away from my house. I don't have a lot of experience with drinking beer at all since I just turned 21. However, in the 2 weeks I've been 21, I found love drinking IPA's such as the dogfish head 90 minute IPA and Rogue xs IPA. With the morebeer kit(the super basic one), I also bought an American IPA kit.

I've been reading a bit since I started having an interest in homebrewing. I won't start my brew until January though. So I have a lot of days to learn about brewing till then.

I look forward to getting to know some members here!

Thanks! I usually get stressed pretty badly during school so I have to find myself a hobby or two and making beer seems interesting so I'm giving it a go.

Quick question, is a 20 quart stock pot enough for a partial boil? My stovetop is rated at 9000 BTU's and I've read that it'll be hard to get a rolling boil on them.

Yeah, you should be fine for pre-boil volumes up to four gallons or so on that.

You will wanna be careful about boil-overs with just one gallon of "extra" space -- don't walk away for more than a minute, turn the heat down a bit before adding anything, have a spoon or other stirring implement handy.

I did my first brew in the same size stock pot with no issues. I went with 3 gallons because like feinbera said not much head room.

And welcome good to see others from the Bay Area here.

I'm also from the bay area (Sunnyvale) but I go to Cal Poly so I'm mostly in San Luis Obispo.

Latest posts

Back